Stryker

www.stryker.com

Great company to start with and gain experience, but...

Generalist (Current Employee) Mahwah, NJ

Pros(Generalist Mahwah, NJ): They truly appreciate the work you do with free lunches, and other Team building exercises. They strive to keep you motivated. I'm using my work experience here as a stepping stone to eventually get out of this company to another medical device company (just like all the other Stryker employees do). This is a great company to start out with in the medical device industry. The people are the best I've ever worked with.

Cons(Generalist Mahwah, NJ): The company has gotten to be way too political. I've witnessed an alarming number of talented and intelligent individuals leave the company for the competitor primarily because of low pay and no opportunity to leave their current cell to a higher position. The yearly pay increases are an embarrassment, but there is an agenda behind it. Stryker does this on purpose to exploit their hourly workers to work overtime so the worker can pay the bills and somewhat live a decent standard of living. If they give higher raises, less people will do the overtime and the production numbers will never be met. There is no such thing as an 8 hour work day on a salaried or hourly level. In my cell, there is mandatory overtime everyday. People don't mind doing the OT during the fall and winter months because here in the Northeast, you can't do much outdoors. But when the nicer weather comes around (and it doesn't last long), managers don't want to hear nor care about you wanting to spend time with family or enjoying your hobbies. It always seems to work out this way; the mandatory OT comes during the nicest time of the year. Some folks just threw their hands up in the air and just leave after 8 hours. Enough is enough. While Stryker would like you to be their first priority, there are others that MAKE that work life balance happem for themselves as it won't come to you any other way. Stand your ground and make it clear that you have a life outside of the company and be consistent with it. Allow them "carte blanche" and you have lost control of your life.

Adecco (temps) seem to get away with whatever they want, come and go as they please, and can get away with quality issue after quality issue with no consequence. That hurts the cell's bottom line with our TOPS awards, CAPA's and NCR's. Yet, if a Stryker employee has more than three quality issues, out the door you go. A couple years back Stryker management did not tolerate this behavior from its temps.

As an hourly employee, I have responsibilities that should be performed by a support member who draws a salary. I have much more responsibilities than the average "Generalist" and this is where the company gets talented workers at a deep discount rate. The average pay increase is 1.5-2.0% which is not enough to cover inflation and constant tax increases in a very high cost of living area. Wait until socialized health care is in full swing.

Our healthcare plan is downright awful. For a medical device company they should be embarrassed to offer such a plan. For an hourly worker, if you were to get sick, the ridiculously high deductibles you must satisfy could put you in a financial bind. United Health Care only looks to maximize its profits, and is also extremely invasive with it's "wellness programs." They offer incentives for you to stay fit and lower your overall monthly premium but they crossed the line this year by punishing smokers with a $600 surcharge for 2014 coverage if you are a tobacco user. They need to offer other Health insurance providers for employees to choose from so they can opt to pay a higher monthly cost in exchange for lower deductibles.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management has lost touch with why we are here and why we do what we do. We are HUMANS and we make products that improve people's lives. If you don't treat the workforce and the very people that are making these products better by giving them better pay and chances for advancement, more talented people will leave or quality will take a dive over time. Free lunches, yearly awards dinners and outings are very nice, but that's a tax write off for the company. They can't write off salaries. We are a profiting healthy reputable company, but Stryker has a long way to go in terms of compensation and advancement opportunities from within. Last but not least, don't rely so heavily on the Q12 results as they are not an accurate measurement of employee satisfaction. It provides a snapshot, but it's not entirely truthful and realistic.

It's been a good experience and a good company to work for

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great benefits and support. You get out of it what you put into it. I work in the field therefore… Cons: Not many women as Reps or in management positions Advice to Senior Management: I would recommend implementing a program to foster the growth… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great company to work for

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Strong ethics and integrity, great products, if you work hard… Cons: few women in management roles. Advice to Senior Management: none Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Stryker.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!