Student Conservation Association

Interpretation Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Student Conservation Association as an intern

Pros

Experience working with visitors at a great park, allowed for flexibility to design your own program, great workplace environment, lots of fun and interesting coworkers, great with providing housing for interns

Cons

Not always what they promised-- was supposed to be more flexible depending on your interests, so you can try out what it's like to work in different departments

reviews filtered by
  1. Rewarding, but not monetarily

Former Intern - Conservation Intern in Florissant, CO
    Former Intern - Conservation Intern in Florissant, CO

I worked at Student Conservation Association as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed me to gain valuable job experience that ultimately resulted in a job at the same site I interned at. Offered a great opportunity to see the country. Education award at the end was nice, but it was better to just know that I was gaining experience in my field and serving the greater good. They also paid my VERY expensive travel costs to relocate from AK, which was awesome.

Cons

Stipend was dismal, and taxed which made it even less. The stipend came on an SCA debit card and could not be put directly into my own bank account, which was challenging because it was not enough to live on and I often had to dip into my savings and put a transaction on 2 separate cards. Application process was frustrating as you could only put in for a limited number of positions.

Advice to Management

Calculate stipend based on living conditions and location. For me, the amount I was given was not enough to cover gas and even basic food items (I had to live 15+ miles from my work location, so gas added up.)

2. A company with great aspirations, almost fully acheives them

Current Employee - Community Crew Leader
    Current Employee - Community Crew Leader

I have been working at Student Conservation Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Lots of different programs, these are about the National crews (summer) or community crews (part-time, school year)) Good compensation for number of hours worked, lots of autonomy, wealth of resources, wonderful aspirations.

Cons

Can be disorganized/try to do too much; challenging schedule (seasonal or infrequent work); donor relations at odds with the mission of the company.