There are newer employer reviews for StumbleUpon

Rebuilding and Culture is improving

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StumbleUpon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency, even when it hurts
Finally focusing on engineering and rewarding long term planning
Making tough more long term planning decision and ignores short term sugar highs with no real long term impact (this was a past mistake)
Culture of collaboration is strengthening. Focus on user community and innovation on personalization.
Strong revenue, profitable, and investing the user community

Cons

Company grew very fast on the business and marketing side for a couple of years instead of focusing on engineering. The correction back to Eng was painful but long overdue
Team attrition, but getting more stable and has great Head of Eng in place to steady the ship

Keep thinking long term
Don't be distracted by short term wins with no long term benefit
The underlying product is solid. People love StumbleUpon...double down on the experience
Keep investing in Recommendation/Personalization team...it's your core IP

reviews filtered by

Scared

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StumbleUpon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - Free food
    - Good hardware
    - Talented staff

Cons

- Too many tiers of management
    - Too much technical debt
    - Lack of an experienced senior exec whose got the vision/talent/drive to make move the product forward

Hire a veteran product manager, pouch someone from Zynga, Facebook, Google, etc. I left a great company to join Stumble. Due to broken promises made before I signed on, the tiers of management (don't get me wrong, they are nice people, but an engineering team of 20 people does not require 4 tiers of management), the fact that 35% of the company was laid off in January... I am honestly having second thoughts. I question if joining Stumble was the right decision.

No one higher up knows what they are doing

I have been working at StumbleUpon full-time

Pros

* paid well.
    * nice location, SF.

Cons

I am not even sure where to begin. The company has been an incredibly amazing learning opportunity in what *not to do* while running a company. It has been impossible for them to hire a CTO or a CEO for a good one year. They keep bringing middle management from yahoo and laid off most of the good engineers. You have amusing situations where you have more managers than developers for some projects. The amount of politics and jockeying over the ruins of what once could have been a great company is amazing. This is truly the next Digg (Failed, broken and probably going to be sold for pennies for the brand.) Honestly, I think this is a perfect example of lack of vision in the management and complete conversion of a company from an engineering focussed culture to some strange middle management leviathan. In my future career, I will keep an eye out for these managers and jump ship if they ever come close to any company that I will work for.

They are not hiring now, but please, please stay away even if they start hiring again.

Sorry, it's all you, it's not me. It's over!

There are newer employer reviews for StumbleUpon