Styles for Less

www.stylesforless.com
  www.stylesforless.com
There are newer employer reviews for Styles for Less

VERY Low Pay...Overworked...Not Professional (You Get What You Pay For!)

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Manager In Training in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Styles for Less part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store is cute, trendy & clothes are reasonably priced. There is a large variation of clothing, shoes & accessories. The overall corporate standard for customer service is very thorough (in theory).

Cons

I was contacted by the Manager regarding coming in as an Assistant Manager before her maternity leave next month. In the process of interviewing, her DM said I NEEDED to be a Manager-In-Training, due to me being out of retail for awhile, tho I have a degree in Fashion/Visual Merch & have been an Office Manager in corporations recently. This would take me down to a PT basis, and a much lower salary. (I was asked for previous check-stubs so they could could try to match my pay once I was trained. - Very unusual to be asked for this.)

I was hired shortly thereafter and told by the Manager that I would make $9/hr. and work 30-35 hrs./week through the holidays, but after holidays she couldn't guarantee the # of hours I would have, as it would determine on how fast I moved up. (I hadn't thought it through completely before accepting the job because I was out of work for awhile. I just took the job without doing research and planned to work my way up quickly.) - They told me there's a lot of opportunity for growth.

The day I was scheduled to start, I got a call 2hrs. before going in to say they didn't have my employee # and to not come in until the next day. I was already dressed and ready to go.

The day I did start, I was scheduled for a 4hr. shift so I could be taught closing procedures. The very pregnant Manager talked very fast, throwing all sorts of info my way, and I did my best to catch on as she went through everything. One other sales person was working to help customers.I was not introduced to her, but introduced myself. I watched her throughout the evening, and tho she was thorough, she didn't smile, seem friendly/approachable or really engage with customers. She actually looked pretty glum..(NOTE: Employees did not wear name tags, nor dress professionally, so it was hard to know who worked there and who was a customer.)

I was told that only 2 people worked at one time, and that we needed to "capture" a certain percentage of customers walking through the door that was counted by a sensor, or it would go against us. We were also supposed to (according to the training video) stop what we're doing to greet them. There were a number of procedures that were mentioned in the training video that I noticed besides this one that were not being followed. It wasn't necessarily any fault of the staff, but the fact that only 2 people worked in a very congested store. The other thing we were supposed to do was spritz fragrance on a slip of paper and bring it to the customer on the 2nd approach. I shared with the Manager that many people are very allergic to perfume; she was unaware. (It was counted against the store if we didn't sell perfume.)

I asked about the return policy and the Manager told me they only do exchanges, and many of the items were FINAL SALE: jewelry, intimate, anything worn & clearance! NOWHERE in the store did it say ANYTHING was "final sale!" I told her that coming from a retail background, it HAD to be spelled out for the customer, or they could argue the point and (old skool as I am) "the customer is always right!" - Not according to her...the call would have to come from corporate, not at the manager level, OR the customer could call the manufacturer for an exchange! ABSURD.

Toward the end of the night, I realized the pregnant Manager (in her 3rd trimester) was rubbing her stomach. I commented that she looked tired. This is when she told me that SHE HAD WORKED A 12HR. DAY that day...and tho she was off the following day, she had worked 7 DAYS IN A ROW!! (This is NOT right that a company would allow this, as this can cause health risks to the mom & child.)

Today I was scheduled to return for my 2nd day of training, when I found out that my pay rate was actually lower than originally told to me. I also had researched and found that Assistant Managers at Styles for Less make about HALF the industry standard, so will make UP TO $12.50 (D.O.E.)!! - I realized this was not a good-fit so resigned so that the poor pregnant manager didn't waste her time & (what's left of) her energy training me for a job that wouldn't meet my needs.

Become more aware how over-worked &/or understaffed your people are...especially ones who have a health concern!
Hire people who look happy (like Trader Joe's)...& wear name tags.
Change your return/exchange policy signage to indicate "final sale items" OR get a red stamp to put on the receipt what items are "final sale."
PAY PEOPLE WHAT THEY'RE WORTH...or you get what you pay for!

33 Other Employee Reviews for Styles for Less (View Most Recent)

My experience ive learn so much more in running a million dollar store and being able to do multi tasking.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Brentwood, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at Styles for Less

Pros

Styles offer selection of clothing to junior apparel and overall the prices are very affordable. We have a base of good customer service in the store and customers leaving satisfied for the service.

Cons

The company can definitely offer more benefits and pay their employees a better descent salary. Styles tend to bend the rules and not follow what they say.

Maybe a better organization and more trained upper management qualification so in turn the store manager can be satisfied of their working environment.

Ugh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Styles for Less

Pros

Family like environment
    Relax
    Care free

Cons

Managers picked favorites an treated the others terrible ALL the staff was pot heads an some even came in high or drunk an never got fired or written up. Some would even be on the phone making drug deals during work hours.

STOP TREATING PEOPLE LIKE SLAVES