There are newer employer reviews for Subsystem Technologies

Good Changes may be coming soon.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wharton, NJ
Current Employee - Project Manager in Wharton, NJ

I have been working at Subsystem Technologies

Pros

Introduction to Army work force. Liberal time off policy (depending on your supervisor). Salary comparative to industry benchmark.

Cons

Confusing administrative procedures. Little to no professional development opportunities offered. The company is contract based so if an employee is on a contract that will not pay for classes, etc. you are out of luck. A career path is non existent. Benefits are expensive.
The company finally realized they needed to have an experienced and competent HR manager and one was hired. She is serious about making Subsystem a better place for people to work. We shall see if management empowers her to make all the changes that would make the company a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset, treat them that way!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to work for: culture, management, co-workers

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Subsystem Technologies full-time

Pros

From the top down, employees have a clear understanding of the company direction and mission. There is a real sense of team effort. The staff is very dedicated as a result of the leadership in place. Really a great company culture. Working hard, yet having fun. Impressed by how management listens to staff feedback and puts good ideas to work.

Cons

As a result of a relocation to New York, I was not able to remain with the company. Therefore, my only comment here is that I wish the company had an office location near my new home.

Scientists Need Not Apply.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Subsystem Technologies part-time (more than a year)

Pros

SUBSYSTEMs Technologies Inc. is a privately owned corporation with the owners family members occupying the top positions on the board of directors. Although the corporate name has the word ‘technologies’ in it, SUBSYSTEMs is not a technology-based corporation. SUBSYSTEMs is a services-based corporation with off-site offices located in Columbia, MD., Wharton, N.J., San Diego, Ca., and Palmdale, Ca. The corporation services the defense and intelligence sectors, providing intelligence analysis, financial analysis, documentation (technical writing), and some software engineering.

Summation:
    Central location (albeit difficult to access)
    Reasonably good pay
    Amiable co-workers
    Good work-life balance
    Reasonable pay increases

Cons

I was hired in Crystal City, Virginia on a full-time basis with benefits to provide GPS guidance and navigation subject matter expertise to the US Army. Two-weeks later, my employment status was changed to ‘part-time-on-call’, and I was stripped of benefits.

I'm a scientist and normally work in a DoD R&D environment with similarly qualified co-workers. Upon hiring in, I was told that SUBSYSTEMs wants to add science and technology to their corporate capabilities. Unfortunately I've become a fish out-of-water at SUBSYSTEMs. The CEO and corporate president asked me to develop a solution to UAV intrusions in our national airspace. When I presented my conceptual design for a passive UAV detection system, the CEO presented his vision of a “security-wrapper” to protect prohibited and restricted airspaces. I couldn’t understand his vision, since it didn’t include the technological infrastructure to support the security-wrapper. (A classic case of placing the cart before the horse.)

Summation:
    Unfriendly clients
    Upper management operates in a bubble
    Non-technical middle management
    Uncommunicative support staff.
    Beware of the bait and switch employment tactic

Advice to Management

Update the corporation's five-year plan to include a requirement for all managers and directors to attend courses in emerging technologies (George Washington University, Georgetown University, George Mason University, James Mason University). Stop the bait and switch hiring tactics.

There are newer employer reviews for Subsystem Technologies