Subway

www.subway.com
  www.subway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Subway

Great door into Customer Service and Business.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Hillsborough, NC
Current Employee - Shift Leader in Hillsborough, NC

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a small-town franchisee, I got to learn important aspects of business ownership. Working with customers face-to-face is a great experience which can open many doors in a plethora of jobs with huge advancement opportunities.

Cons

As an entry-level job, one shouldn't expect pay rates much over minimum wage. If you aren't good with people, this is not the job for you. Also, it is food service. many people aren't cut for the strict requirements and stresses involved.

Work on promotions which don't only consist of a new combination of the meats which are already available. The Tuscan Chicken is so popular because it's something different. Our regulars love a new surprise at the beginning of the month.

1234 Other Employee Reviews for Subway (View Most Recent)

Could be better

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Subway is a great company to work for. I've only been managing for a short time and I love it. The pay is equivalent to the amount of work I have to do. It's fun to get to know the good customers.

Cons

Working at a Walmart location is by far probably the worst place anyone could work at a Subway. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The reason for that is the customers. It's a very different crowd. I would say a majority of them are crabby, rude, or have never been to a Subway in their life. It can be frustrating at times. They act like you're ripping them off. Must be from being in Walmart.
    Also the job can be demanding at times.

Come up with new ideas for sandwiches. We haven't had a good new one in a long time. Get those ideas from people who work in the stores, because it seems like all the new things lately are coming from someone who's never even worked in one. They are not always the most practical ideas.

Going to depend on your franchise owner

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As the title says, what its like to work for Subway depends a lot on the franchise owner. The owner of my Subway gives me very flexible hours and lets me eat however much food I want and lets me give close friends and family free food, while have a very casual relationship with the employees, and is generally a great person to work for.

Cons

Not every franchise owner is as nice as mine. Some only give a discount on food for the employee and are very strict. In almost all cases, the pay is minimum wage, and you're not likely to receive any benefits such as health care, sick/vacation pay, etc. Some owners are strict and will fire someone at the drop of a hat, while others will let things slide.

Treat your employees like people and respect them and don't make them fear you, and you will have happy employees that are more willing to do favors like covering shifts.

There are newer employer reviews for Subway