Success Academy Charter Schools

www.successcareers.org
  www.successcareers.org
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Well-funded, high expectations, don't value their employees

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They've got incredibly funding and the schools are beautiful. It is a safe environment for children to learn in. The school gives opportunity to children who wouldn't have access to a great school and they do learn the content and perform well on tests.

Cons

I felt completely taken advantage of as a teacher. Way overworked (even relative to a prior career that was extremely demanding), felt very little respect from network. Didn't care about my work-life balance, personal health, emotional well-being. Was assigned way more tasks than what I believe a teacher should be asked to do (which resulted in lower quality work in the classroom). Extremely micromanaged, which was forced upon me in my work, and forced upon students as well. Little creativity encouraged in learning.

It's been noted that the network doesn't care about employee turn over--but this school turned me off from teaching. Literally worked me until I was sick. Actually care about your employees well-being and sanity--work smarter, not harder. Allow kids to be kids, and let the teachers teach.

92 Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools (View Most Recent)

Teaching is a calling.

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

Success Academy has a very particular behavior management system that subjects experienced and inexperienced teachers to a learning curve that can be frustrating. As a teacher with over 15 years experience in public & private schools I was very confident in my classroom management. Upon entering Success Academy I had to “modify” my methods, and as with anything new it took time and I experienced growing pains. Now, I have a much better grasp of how to go about what Success Academy wants and I have a better understanding of why it is done in a certain fashion. Success Academy is not the Ritz and you will be pushed. If you are a professional and take pride in your craft then you will be rewarded in the end.

Teaching is a calling

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

: I am treated as a professional with high expectations and I am given coaching and feedback to direct instruction and behavior management. Everyone at Success wants you to succeed. The results of your work are evident in scholar work, behavior, and interaction with adults. If you see yourself as a professional and not a just a worker, Success can take you to a higher level of pedagogy because the scholars are the most disadvantaged and in need of the best instruction from the best teachers. Our scholars will be competing against others with far more advantages such as money, highly literate parents and connections. When I asked about my placement in the South Bronx, I was told “Because that’s where you are needed.” Our scholars need the best and the brightest because they don’t have the luxury of mediocrity and complacency. You will grow as a professional and person working at Success, but more importantly you can influence the lives of hundreds of scholars who might otherwise be left behind and never know their true capabilities. If you believe that zip codes should not be destiny than Success Academy is a place where you can put your principles to work. Look no further than Eva Moskowitz herself who ran for public office as a Democrat and defied the UFT…not the best political move. It shows that she has principles. It is easy to have principles, but much harder to live by principles, especially when you must sacrifice.

Cons

Less focus on 100% one hundred percent of the time. Sitting in magic 5 for 15-20 minutes on the rug is not easy....I've tried it out and I was not comfortable. There must be some way of striking a happy medium. T&G/Private schools have demanding behavior codes w/o resorting to 100% all of the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools