There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Well-funded, high expectations, don't value their employees

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They've got incredibly funding and the schools are beautiful. It is a safe environment for children to learn in. The school gives opportunity to children who wouldn't have access to a great school and they do learn the content and perform well on tests.

Cons

I felt completely taken advantage of as a teacher. Way overworked (even relative to a prior career that was extremely demanding), felt very little respect from network. Didn't care about my work-life balance, personal health, emotional well-being. Was assigned way more tasks than what I believe a teacher should be asked to do (which resulted in lower quality work in the classroom). Extremely micromanaged, which was forced upon me in my work, and forced upon students as well. Little creativity encouraged in learning.

Advice to Management

It's been noted that the network doesn't care about employee turn over--but this school turned me off from teaching. Literally worked me until I was sick. Actually care about your employees well-being and sanity--work smarter, not harder. Allow kids to be kids, and let the teachers teach.

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Energetic and mission driven -- great people!

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am so impressed with my colleagues -- a very smart, caring group of professionals fully committed to ensuring that our scholars have the best possible education. You can feel the energy and sense of mission when you walk through the door. The pace is fast and expectations are high which I appreciate. My hard work is recognized and I have a very supportive leadership team. The culture is one of continuous improvement so I have found people very open to feedback and working together to keep making things better.

Cons

Success Academy is a relatively new, fast-growing organization so it is important to be flexible as the organization continues to develop and change.

2. TRANSFORMATION

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional organization, well-paid, fun place to work

Cons

Long hours, not a job for anyone who can't take critical feedback

Advice to Management

Give your employees more personal time