Success Academy Charter Schools

www.successcareers.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Really high stress, really high rewards.

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of support, resources, engaged parents, career growth opportunities

Cons

Inexperienced leadership, high teacher turnover, shifting priorities, low teacher morale

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very low morale

Pros

Great pay and benefits. You're surrounded by adorable and intelligent students. Beautiful aesthetics in the building. Many opportunities for advancement and professional development.

Cons

All teachers are extremely overworked. 12-hour work days are the norm. Very, very little prep time during the day, as meetings are held during "prep" periods. Management encourages bizarre competition between teachers, and as a result, morale is low.

Students are pushed out of the school if they exhibit any negative behaviors or if their data is low. In either case, management will meet with the family to tell them that this school is "just not the right fit for them". If that doesn't work, they will suspend the child ad nauseum or even push them down into a lower grade, so that their exhausted parents give in. It's absurd that this school is publicly funded when it does not serve the population it purports to serve. It is honestly more a school for gifted students than a school working to close the achievement gap. I include this in my review because it contributes to the low morale of the school - your students who you love are constantly being kicked out.

Advice to Management

Value your teachers more by making their workday more manageable. This will lead to teacher retention. 6:30am - 6:30pm is not sustainable, as the teacher turnover rate clearly attests. Also, value the children who are told they don't belong at our school. If we can't help them, what are we doing in the education business?

2. Tough to balance work and social life, but the job is incredibly rewarding!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

the kids, and the camaraderie between teachers

Cons

long hours, long days, no personal/vacation time