Success Academy Charter Schools

There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Teaching at success academies

Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a teacher at Success Academies, I am provided with the opportunity to teach at the highest level possible. We are given tons of supplies and resources to use in order to prepare and engage our students in lessons. I am always pushed to do better and as a result, my kids reach the highest of standards in every subject area. Principals are supportive of teachers and spend majority of their time giving feedback and meeting with grade teams in order to improve teacher practice. We are given tons of professional development throughout the year where we get the chance to ask questions and prepare for upcoming units. Teaching at Success is definitely hard work but with a little dedication comes great rewards. I would not choose any other school to be a part of!

Cons

Must be dedicated to the overall mission of the school. Takes a lot of hard work and diligence to keep up with the demands.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools (View Most Recent)

Overworked and unreasonable expectations on staff, micromanaging

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. The kids
    2. Great benefits, they contribute to your 401K
    3. Free food (as someone mentioned below, sadly this was a highlight of the day)

Cons

1. Micromanaging by leadership
    2. No autonomy in your classroom, it's like they're making all their teachers into replicas of the one model they're looking for
    3. Overworked school day - I would arrive by 6:45 am and I felt like I was running behind already. I would work till 5:00 pm at school, then bolt out the door to get home to my family. I would tirelessly grade papers while on the subway, try to respond to the absurd amount of emails and constantly changing meetings, expectations, etc. I would work on school work for extra hours at night and it was never enough.
    If this had been my first teaching job out of college, I would have hated teaching. Luckily I had 6 years experience in a great school district in a different state.

The stories I had to tell about this job made everyone in my life tell me to quit. There was so much stress and anxiety going into each week of the job.

Very Low Morale.

Current Employee - Second Grade Lieutenant
    Current Employee - Second Grade Lieutenant

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The children. Free food. Professional Development & Feedback. Great benefits.

Cons

Depressing environment. Unreasonable workload. Teachers have low morale and are stressed. No work/life balance. Uncertain how much school cares about kids (it's more about the numbers).

The turnover rate is high. There are people who want to quit, but can't because they 1) care about the kids, 2) need the money, 3) signed a 2 year commitment contract, or 4) can't get a day off to go on another interview. Management should be worried about the long-term viability of this organization. No one can work at this pace for 10 years. Management should invest in retaining their employees instead of hiring new ones constantly. Intellectual capital cannot be replicated. The hours are terrible. 6:30 am- 7pm stresses everyone out, including the kids. One has to wake up four or five am depending on commute and try to get to sleep early for the next day. However, the work never ends so there is never enough time to get everything done. You never feel as if you're doing your job well enough. Ever.

There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools