There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

I was an Associate Teacher

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say...good benefits?

Cons

Everything. Extremely high turnover due to many reasons, just a few of which are listed here. Hours are insane, management doesn't care about the employees, the style of teaching and discipline is horrifying, I didn't like who I became after working here, there are unrealistic expectations of teachers (like I need to log every phone call I make to a parent!?), and the feedback is ALWAYS negative without any sense of "you can do it" or "we can do this together", it's "get your f*cking sh*t together"

You'll have a much happier staff if you recognize that employees are PEOPLE who want to have lives outside of work, don't want to be micromanaged, and will see better results if you approach criticism in a more constructive way rather than beating up your teachers.

reviews filtered by

Overworked and unreasonable expectations on staff, micromanaging

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. The kids
    2. Great benefits, they contribute to your 401K
    3. Free food (as someone mentioned below, sadly this was a highlight of the day)

Cons

1. Micromanaging by leadership
    2. No autonomy in your classroom, it's like they're making all their teachers into replicas of the one model they're looking for
    3. Overworked school day - I would arrive by 6:45 am and I felt like I was running behind already. I would work till 5:00 pm at school, then bolt out the door to get home to my family. I would tirelessly grade papers while on the subway, try to respond to the absurd amount of emails and constantly changing meetings, expectations, etc. I would work on school work for extra hours at night and it was never enough.
    If this had been my first teaching job out of college, I would have hated teaching. Luckily I had 6 years experience in a great school district in a different state.

The stories I had to tell about this job made everyone in my life tell me to quit. There was so much stress and anxiety going into each week of the job.

Great place to work if your desire is to close the achievement gap and create quality schools for all children.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited resources, Friendly Staff, Supportive Leadership, Career growth opportunities

Cons

Some parents aren't invested in their scholar's education.

The most successful members of upper management know their employees strengths and support / help improve their weaknesses.

There are newer employer reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools