I was an Associate Teacher

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say...good benefits?

Cons

Everything. Extremely high turnover due to many reasons, just a few of which are listed here. Hours are insane, management doesn't care about the employees, the style of teaching and discipline is horrifying, I didn't like who I became after working here, there are unrealistic expectations of teachers (like I need to log every phone call I make to a parent!?), and the feedback is ALWAYS negative without any sense of "you can do it" or "we can do this together", it's "get your f*cking sh*t together"

Advice to Management

You'll have a much happier staff if you recognize that employees are PEOPLE who want to have lives outside of work, don't want to be micromanaged, and will see better results if you approach criticism in a more constructive way rather than beating up your teachers.

Other Employee Reviews for Success Academy Charter Schools

Overworked and unreasonable expectations on staff, micromanaging

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The kids 2. Great benefits, they contribute to your 401K 3. Free food (as someone mentioned below, sadly this was a highlight of the day)

Cons

1. Micromanaging by leadership 2. No autonomy in your classroom, it's like they're making all their teachers into replicas of the one model they're looking for 3. Overworked school day - I would arrive by 6:45 am and I felt like I was running behind already. I would work till 5:00 pm at school, then bolt out the door to get home to my family. I would tirelessly grade papers while on the subway, try to respond to the absurd amount of emails and constantly changing meetings, expectations, etc. I would work on school work for extra hours at night and it was never enough. If this had been my first teaching job out of college, I would have hated teaching. Luckily I had 6 years experience in a great school district in a different state. The stories I had to tell about this job made everyone in my life tell me to quit. There was so much stress and anxiety going into each week of the job.

Teaching at success academies

Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - First Grade Lead Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Success Academy Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a teacher at Success Academies, I am provided with the opportunity to teach at the highest level possible. We are given tons of supplies and resources to use in order to prepare and engage our students in lessons. I am always pushed to do better and as a result, my kids reach the highest of standards in every subject area. Principals are supportive of teachers and spend majority of their time giving feedback and meeting with grade teams in order to improve teacher practice. We are given tons of professional development throughout the year where we get the chance to ask questions and prepare for upcoming units. Teaching at Success is definitely hard work but with a little dedication comes great rewards. I would not choose any other school to be a part of!

Cons

Must be dedicated to the overall mission of the school. Takes a lot of hard work and diligence to keep up with the demands.