Great Place to Work but Rewards need to be better

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

Fast-paced and innovative technologies. This is a great place to explore and try out new things.

Cons

The biggest con is that while most people in Engineering are very happy with their jobs, they're more than aware of the disparity between executive compensation and bonuses and their own. For instance, the employees had to take a huge cut in bonuses the last couple of years, but the executives all received nice bonuses and equity grants. Maybe that's the Silicon Valley culture where ego rules, but we SUPPOSED to be a pay-for-performance culture, not "we-get-paid-for-your-performance" culture. Personally, I'd have no problem with the execs getting huge rewards if they shared the love themselves.

Advice to Management

Live up to the pay-for-performance culture you say exists. It's not just for sales. The engineers need some love as well; after all, we're the ones making the products. And by the way, a pizza party for working our asses off for weeks on end just isn't going to cut it any longer. You need to know that most people are asking, "What's in it for me?" That could kill our innovation if you don't respond to that and quickly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I'm Still Here & Reasonably Satisfied!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

I still like my job. I've made good money. The company has been good to me. I'll stay as long as they'll keep me. So I guess my next job will be retirement.

Cons

I mind my own business. I'm successful and I work hard. I don't cheat my co-workers. Although upward mobility is limited for me, my own job responsibilities have expanded. I do regret seeing so many talented people leave the company. They've left by the droves. Nevertheless, I'm still grateful for the job. I'm not idealistic either. The CEO is no different than any other CEO. They all have a stunted maturity level, remain self-indulgent, identify with money, and suffer from a narcissistic personality disorder. The "No Jerk Rule" at SuccessFactors is a joke. Perhaps during its inception I naively thought it was genuine. I now realize that it was nothing more than a marketing ploy. It doesn't matter. People who have integrity and a strong work ethic don't require a "No Jerk Rule". Our CEO never enforced it. That's his problem - not mine. Despite the obvious problems - my glass is half full - not half empty.

Advice to Management

Make mandatory for all new employees: Class 101 Making Lemonade from Lemons!

Pretty universal take by those lucky to get out!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors

Pros

it's a job in a bad economy. Pay is above average. It's somewhere to go every day. Good, solid benefits. Close commute.

Cons

Incompetent senior management Very cliquish Immature managers Extremely political Company doesn't appear to know direction it is going

Advice to Management

Replace the management. Practice what you preach.