There are newer employer reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell

Great salary and benefits; Why complain?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell

Pros

Salary and benefits for support staff are above the level at similar firms. I am a non-lawyer. My department is run very smoothly. Perks such as the view and cafeteria are even enough to bump this job into golden handcuffs territory. No one ever bothers me about overtime. My desk is quiet and I can occasionally check the ol' Facey-book. I work hard, though, and am given legitimate/commensurate responsibilities. Good, good, and more good stuff.

Cons

We're all working for the man. Self-starters are given praise to an extent, but ultimately, many high-level changes or suggestions will be shut down by the old, white, male partners who oversee many of the support (non-lawyer) departments and like things to remain the same. We have a reputation for being stuffy, and although SO many of the newer staff, lawyers, etc. aren't old and stuffy, we still have those same people who are resisant to change making the higher level decisions. It's hard to fight the reputation when some people don't want to/don't notice that they themselves are stuffy, and the root of the problems.

That being said, S&C doesn't have a ton of "problems" at any rate. We're still a top firm; support departments do what we can to make the lawyers' lives run smoothly (in whatever sense is appropriate for that department), and ultimately lawyers quit on a daily basis anyway because it's corporate law--long hours and high pay will mean people come and go and come and go...

30 Other Employee Reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell (View Most Recent)

Do not work here as a temporary worker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell

Pros

Overtime availability, you get a car home after overtime, cheap food at the cafeteria, social events are appealing.

Cons

No benefits as a temp, incompetent and manipulative supervisors, mind numbing work, office chatter and gossip is high, place is filled with miserable people working for a paycheck.

Please observe closely the abusive and downright fraudulent behavior from supervisors, attorney, and legal staff employees. They sure know how to milk the system of billing for work never performed.

S&C Legal Assitants

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Sullivan & Cromwell

Pros

Great compensation, surrounded by smart people, reasonable work environment. They really know how to take care of their employees, and demand a lot of them for it. The environment is conducive to working well and working with others.

Cons

Long days, long hours and hard work. Often working on weekends, and spent a lot of time working at home. The only con is the work/life balance. To be fair, good compensation package with ample vacation time that is generally flexible .

Here I really don't have much, you know what you are getting into here and there are few surprises. Few people are in it for the long haul and those that are receive different treatment.

There are newer employer reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell

Worked for Sullivan & Cromwell? Contribute to the Community!