Sullivan & Cromwell

www.sullcrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell

Great place to practice law

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training program, all the resources one could ask for, and interesting assignments. Compensation is top tier of the market. There is no emphasis at all on billable hours and real efforts are made to make workloads manageable.

Cons

Like at all big law firms, hours are often long and frequently unpredictable. Partnership prospects murky, at best.

More transpatency with respect to promotions and firm management wpuld be appreciated by most associates.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell (View Most Recent)

Excellent firm in M&A, regulatory, and securities space

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Impressive and insightful colleagues, outstanding clients, cutting-edge work

Cons

Unpredictable hours, closed-door firm management and decision-making, limited partner mentorship

Improve associate quality of life by communicating more frequently with associates about the state of current client matters and assignments, which would lead to greater predictability in work schedules and increased associate morale; encourage and foster greater partner mentorship of associates to ensure they feel integrated and have a more certain future at the firm

Great salary and benefits; Why complain?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sullivan & Cromwell

Pros

Salary and benefits for support staff are above the level at similar firms. I am a non-lawyer. My department is run very smoothly. Perks such as the view and cafeteria are even enough to bump this job into golden handcuffs territory. No one ever bothers me about overtime. My desk is quiet and I can occasionally check the ol' Facey-book. I work hard, though, and am given legitimate/commensurate responsibilities. Good, good, and more good stuff.

Cons

We're all working for the man. Self-starters are given praise to an extent, but ultimately, many high-level changes or suggestions will be shut down by the old, white, male partners who oversee many of the support (non-lawyer) departments and like things to remain the same. We have a reputation for being stuffy, and although SO many of the newer staff, lawyers, etc. aren't old and stuffy, we still have those same people who are resisant to change making the higher level decisions. It's hard to fight the reputation when some people don't want to/don't notice that they themselves are stuffy, and the root of the problems.

That being said, S&C doesn't have a ton of "problems" at any rate. We're still a top firm; support departments do what we can to make the lawyers' lives run smoothly (in whatever sense is appropriate for that department), and ultimately lawyers quit on a daily basis anyway because it's corporate law--long hours and high pay will mean people come and go and come and go...

There are newer employer reviews for Sullivan & Cromwell