SumTotal

There are newer employer reviews for SumTotal

LOW Compensation, LOW Communication, LOW Appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HA! I suppose the opportunity to receive a 1.5% Annual Bonus?

Cons

Most everything. For an HR Software company, they IRONICALLY care very little about their Human Resources. They allow for lateral, but not upward movement throughout the company. Compensation is lowest in the industry. Their business model is to recruit new engineers and support staff right out of college to guarantee "Entry-Level" pay, which the do not increase unless inflation increases. They do NOT actually give you the "10% Annual Bonus" you are promised as part of your compensation package, and instead blame it on the poor health of the company (as if over $100million dollar profits are not enough to share). They only recognize live customer facing employees (such as the sales guys and the Executives) and never recognize the rest of the support staff that makes their efforts possible.

FALSE ADVERTISING. They do not follow their own slogan of "Talent is Boundless", as stated above where moving up throughout the company is nearly impossible. They pride themselves on not allocating raises bc "you are not doing your job well enough", which they never communicate to you until your annual review. Very poor management tactics. Obviously, they care more about keeping costs low than helping employees grow and develop with the company.

Learn to Communicate! No reason for all the secrets if we are all "On the same Team"

166 Other Employee Reviews for SumTotal (View Most Recent)

Great environment for learning (Engineering)

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open to new creative solutions, Management is pleasant to work with and respects employees opinion, I have become a much better programmer from working here

Cons

Compensation/Benefits are pretty low compared to similar positions in other companies (granted, Gainesville FL has a low cost-of-living). Time difference when working with India teams can be grueling

I'm fond of those in lower level management and wish I had a better opportunity to provide feedback, and give them recognition

Sumtotal

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are good.

Cons

SumTotal is all about numbers. There is no life/work balance with this company. I left this company to gain some balance in my life and find a company that cares about people. This company offshores as much work as it possibly can. I have worked for other software companies and this is by far the worst culture I've worked in. Colleagues are all overworked and have become bitter and difficult to work with due to overwhelming work loads.

Treat your employees like people and not a number or you are not going to have a company.

There are newer employer reviews for SumTotal