Summa Health System

www.summahealth.org
  www.summahealth.org
There are newer employer reviews for Summa Health System

The lazy and stupid are rewarded while the rest are worked twice as hard.

I have been working at Summa Health System

Pros

a paycheck and health insurance

Cons

See the review headline above.

Why? It is a lost cause, I have been there for 10 years and it is getting progressively worse, Nothing will change.

53 Other Employee Reviews for Summa Health System (View Most Recent)

It has it's upside and downside, but overall it's a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Janitorial Staff
    Current Employee - Janitorial Staff

I have been working at Summa Health System

Pros

-Upper management for the janitorial department is flexible and willing to make things more manageable for employees. The members who make up the second shift crew get along well and for the most part are willing to shoulder responsibilities/help out with work on a daily basis.
        -Benefits are excellent for employees, even down to part-time janitorial staff. Currently our hourly wage is close to $10 an hour and because our department has a relatively high turnover rate for staff there is always an opportunity here for someone who needs to find work. This has also allowed me to save up considerably to pay college tuition.
        -The staff members whom I work with on a daily basis are friendly and get along well with. From the day I started they made me feel welcome and have become my friends.
        -Paid time off, up to two weeks consecutive paid vacation, and family medical leave of absence are offered to employees who need it.

Cons

-All employees are required to work two holidays per year on a rotating cycle, and it's very hard to switch assigned holidays with someone. All requested days off must be put in one to two weeks minimum before a new schedule begins.
        -Some of the staff within the departments can be very particular about the cleanliness of areas. Despite efforts, there are some people who can't be pleased. However, complaints from department staff and medical staff often times lead to an increase in workload, to the point where it is difficult for janitorial employees to finish assigned work before the end of the night.
        -The hiring process and subsequent interview is lengthy and rather drawn out. Once an application is submitted online, it could be anywhere from one week to a month before Human Resources reviews it. If you receive an interview, it could take another three weeks for a very thorough background check to be completed. HR is very picky about whom they will hire, and there are plenty of potential employees who were turned away because of the length of time it took to gather an applicant's information.
         -Summa Health System uses a system of point accumulation for tardiness, calling in sick, equipment misuse/damage, etc. After a certain number of points is accumulated an employee will receive a write up. The points stay on an employee's record for a year, which makes it very hard to move between departments if one so desires.
          -While I was able to save up a considerable amount of money for school, it is very hard to be a student and work the hours that this position asks. My shift begins at 3:00 in the afternoon and goes until 11:30 at night.
          -I would not advise an employee who is paid hourly to take benefits from this company unless absolutely necessary. The rates for insurance go up each year with health screening requirements which can sometimes cost half of an employee's paycheck.

Management Issues

Former Employee - IT Implementations in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Former Employee - IT Implementations in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I worked at Summa Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are commendable in today's market.
    Non-medical staff seem to get along, but Nurses and Physicians think they are above the rest.

Cons

If you are not a clinical or medical associate you receive little respect from Nursing and Physician personnel. Business MBA graduate, IT, makes no difference in this silo culture.
    Hospital services for patients are lacking unless you are a hospitalized employee.

Replace your culture with one that works for all employees and this will trickle down to patient care in all units.

There are newer employer reviews for Summa Health System