Executive Level Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful Facility in a lovely part of the city. Dedicated C-Suite personnel

Cons

Regional Financial Leadership only focused on the financial bottomline and not the facility's patient safety, staff and physicians

Advice to Management

Ensure that you value your associates and help them to progress in their career

Other Employee Reviews for Summerlin Hospital

1. It was good

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time

Pros

Nice building. Extremely personable people

Cons

Employees are not empowered to make improvements

RN III

Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UHS implements evidenced based practices and best practices and supplies were more cutting edge. There was outstanding educational support for newly hired nurses within the UHS System.

Cons

This hospital is far from pro-nursing. I last worked there in 2010 and at that time there was no strive for Magnet status. This may have changed since this credential is now highly associated with Quality care and the embodiment of Health Reform is looking closely at quality. As I stated above there was excellent educational support for new nurses but, it seemed to stop there rather than encouraging all of their nursing staff through various stages of there careers. I was a critical care nurse in the MICU and last worked at Summerlin Medical Center in 12/2010 at that time the nursing culture in the MICU did not embrace the nursing profession rather than seeing it as a job. There were literally 2 strong nursing leaders during the time that I worked at Summerlin MICU and a crew of punitive management (most charge nurses included) which were not leaders. Lastly there were no intensivists in the critical care units or house doctors for the floors to support patients and nurses overnight or even in a critical situation.

Advice to Management

I apologize for inaccurate information if efforts have been made over the last 3 years to change the culture of nursing but, I feel that there is a lot of support from UHS which could be far greater utilized to really make Summerlin an outstanding nurse centric hospital. Nurses need to be supported to produce research, achieve certification, and stay current by attending conferences (which I should add are often in LV). Patient safety would improve if there were intensivists in the critical care units, house MD or acute care NP's to support floor staff, and lastly establish a team to solely work codes and rapid responses.