There are newer employer reviews for Summit Polymers

Great place for men to work but a poor work environment for women.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portage, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I worked at Summit Polymers

Pros

If you are of the male gender, your opportunities for job advancement and compensation are actually quite good and you can expect much in the way of training.

Cons

Harassment and far lower wages for women in this workplace are not uncommon. If you place a complaint then expect retaliation from those higher up. They also expect you to do your own reviews of your job performance with instructions that you should not rate yourself highly as it will show no room for improvement and will reflect on you poorly. They will then take those ratings later on to use against you stating that you agreed that you were a poor employee. My time at Summit was the lowest depths of hell. By going through the channels of complaint directed by the company it put me in a position where the people involved in the issue were informed and were able to not only retaliate but were open to building a case against me that improperly showed me as being a poor employee.

This company could do FAR better. Take a long look at the actual job performance of your managers and PLEASE work to change your policies on reporting issues. Many times the issues (harassment and discrimination in my case) are partially due to the managers of the department and the requirement to contact your manager FIRST before working your way up the ladder only opens the door to retaliation. Employees many times don't have support from those higher up and are sacrificed when management mistakes are made. This company during my time there was definitely run as an "old boy's club".

13 Other Employee Reviews for Summit Polymers (View Most Recent)

Strong in the auto industry, financially sound, going to be around for a long time.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Portage, MI

I have been working at Summit Polymers

Pros

financially stable, privately owned, not to large of a company. Once you know your way around, it is easy to get things done.

Cons

People are not held accountable. Many senior people seem to have their job too secure.

Get rid of the weak, hold them accountable.

A good place to work, a good place to live.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, Employment  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, Employment in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Summit Polymers

Pros

SW Michigan is a great place to work and raise a family. Short commutes, good school systems, company is privately held and is financially healthy. This company is big enough to offer a good career path in manufacturing and engineering and small enough to be on a first name basis with the company's President and Vice Presidents. Summit likes to grow their own management. Lean manufacturing (Toyota Production System) is integrated into every aspect of the operation and employees receive excellent OTJ training.

Cons

Summit is an automotive supplier with price pressures from both the OEM's and material suppliers. Because Summit is lean, employees with a narrow skill set or a reluctance to seek out resources may struggle to be successful.

Identify your key employees and make sure that they are compensated at market value.

There are newer employer reviews for Summit Polymers

Worked for Summit Polymers? Contribute to the Community!