Sun Life

3 year downhill stumble that ends in 800 layoffs

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Fair benefits though they got cut back over the years. Good work life balance for most

Cons

Bad career development. Spent way too much on sales and sponsorships. HR department goes by the book when it benefits them but makes excuses when it doesn't. Badly run and now employees not involved in the decisions are paying for it. Employees that survive the layoff, including the new college leadership people, should take note and get out quick as it will get worse.

Accept the blame for your bad decisions, get rid of senior managers who killed the business, and use the money saved to give more to the people you are throwing out on the street, they deserve it more

314 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Good career advancement within the program, not so much elsewhere

Current Employee - Rotational Leadership Development Program in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Rotational Leadership Development Program in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Work life balance, people are very nice, good hours. Depending on your role (this is talking specifically to RLDP), interesting work. RLDP program is great although bogged down by HR. Not too happy with HR but within the program we get tons of access to senior leadership and there is definitely an effort to develop us.

Cons

Slow. very slow. Many people are lifers and not ambitious. It can be hard to advance depending on where you are as there are too many layers of management in some instances. Culture is just kind of static which kind of sucks for young people.

Less layers of management, make it a bit more fast paced. IMPROVE TECHNOLOGY.

You can make a lot of money, but you can't advance past sales.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

If you're good you'll make a lot of money. The people who work in the office are fun usually happy people.

Cons

They have make some really bad decisions on picking managers. Because of that there has been heavy turnover and low moral in the office. With senior management being as solid as they are it surprises me why they haven't taken a better look at making the baltimore a top office.

Figure out why we were so much better in Baltimore 5 years ago than we are now.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life