Sun Life

www.sunlife.com
  www.sunlife.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

95% of Sun Life Advisors end up OWING Sun Life money

Former Employee - Advisor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Advisor in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - if by flexible time you like to spend your day resolving HQ and tech problems and your evenings and weekends doing sales calls...

Cons

My experience is with one of Canada's biggest branches. Bottom line: THE ONLY NEW ADVISORS THAT PROSPERED are RELATED TO MANAGERS WHO ASSIGN LEADS or older ones who joined when the business was a little more reputable. Its pretty outrageous that I'd say this given I can be traced but its true. There is abysmal training at SUN. You are fodder, one of the thousands who march through, sign their relatives up, then leave (with debt to Sun) once they figure things out. It is a very difficult and convoluted remuneration process which I still to this day do not quite understand (i.e. I signed a new CI policy, got a tiny bit ($20?) in commission because I hadn't sold enough insurance to get to the next level of remun when I was expecting $1200. Then the client quit after getting peeved at general HQ incompetence & delay and I ended up being deducted for more than the commission I made! That's life at SUN! Embarassing since it was a friend.

The licensing process is your only education. The training session basically tells you about their convoluted methods of payment. Managers are too busy padding their own pockets to do anything for you. You really don't know what you don't know. You have a license to do damage to the public .. no wonder insurance agents have such a bad name. The weekly trainer, in a moment of rare honesty, took time away from a 20 year old irrelevant training video (that you pay $120pa for the privilege of watching) to tell us that 97% of advisors left within a year, and left owing Sun Life money for assigned clients that leave - your fault or not -, office fees, tech, training - all the costs that they take off your commission before you see it. I worked HARD, I had so many problems caused by HQ with my new clients that three of them backed out of the deals. Nightmare - this post is my public service action to help people considering a career in independent insurance sales with SUN LIFE FINANCIAL.

You can't recruit new people and leave them on their own. You have to assign a mentor. Also - there MUST be a policy about nepotism. Call me, these FC's are swimming with relatives who do extremely well relative to non-connected newbies.

316 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life