Sun Life

www.sunlife.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

It's true what they say about 'life under the sun.' Work here is: enriching, fulfilling, and challenging.

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Sun Life part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No salary cap.
Excellent business support.
Excellent training and development program.
Excellent benefits package.
Excellent incentives and compensation framework.
Reputability and exclusivity.
Professionalism and camaraderie
No foreseeable age limit.

Cons

Commission based.
On call 24/7 for client needs and requirements.
Public perception as to importance of Insurance products and mutual funds.
Inherent product challenges.

Strengthen online training framework for advisors who are employed/have day jobs.
Continue to be receptive to change and suggestions.
Reinforce current meritocracy based culture.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
    - Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
       1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
       2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
       3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
    - If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
    - There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
    - Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
    - Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, Supporting Management team, Learning & Development, Employee engagement initiatives

Cons

There are employees who often don't follow the policies & guidelines. Management still unaware of the same or ignoring the facts.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life