Good Process...no learning

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning of process, less work, not much pressure

Cons

Working from India is very difficult as the Canadian counterparts are not forthcoming in accomodating meetings at IST, Bad Management as everything depends on the Managers and they can make or break your career. Lots of favouritism

Advice to Management

Clean up the processes at ISC.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Think twice about "career" as advisor at Sun Life

I worked at Sun Life full-time

Pros

Your meetings commence towards the end of the day. Your evenings are ALWAYS busy with meetings. Downtime is in the morning when you should generally get your admin done. You will spend alot of time on the phone sorting out SNAFU's with head office in the morning. If this is your idea of a lifestyle with "flexibility" (that's how they sell this job to housewives) then good! At least in a corporation your day ends... the average rep makes around $24000 per YEAR. Check out payscale.

Cons

It is not a great time to be new in this business, and particularly not with Sun Life. Propeller heads at head office have figured out how to transfer much of their business risk to the new recruit, and most reps don't truly understand the liabilities they are taking on. Recruitment practices SHOULD be monitored at branch offices, true, as another poster said. Here is one of their onerous practices that most new recruits don't get and which could cost them thousands of $'s. HERE IS A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE OF ONE OF SUN'S PRACTICES: when a rep leaves, they leave their clients behind. All the good clients are snapped up by managers and experienced reps. The remainder go in a pool and one of the manager's jobs is to offload these garbage clients to new reps. I say garbage because everyone in my millieu at Sun who took these ended up paying back SUN LIFE the commissions that a previous rep earned ... costing them thousands more than the miniscule monthly cash flow stream they generated. Would you assume a potential debt of $THOUSANDS of dollars to assume a shaky income stream of $4 or $5 per month? They DO NOT MAKE THIS CLEAR TO YOU. They tell you they are gifting you an opportunity to cross sell the client with other products. Most of these clients are pissed off as they've been assigned to TOO many different advisors in a short period of time... and all these advisors want to do is sell them new policies.

Advice to Management

Monitor recruitment at the branch offices for dishonest recruitment practices. If SUN LIFE was really invested in anything other than promoting sales , they would partner new recruits with an established sales person, pay them a base to learn (as another poster noted)... Now that I have seen how SUN LIFE operates I would issue a big caveat about trusting your financial health, as a consumer, to a recruit that is incentivized to sell at all costs and owning only the most superficial and usually imperfect or downright incorrect product knowledge.

2. I play in the spaces between images and words...

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Sun Life Financial, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement.

Cons

I've had an amazing experience with Sun Life for the past 25 years and can't complain.