Sun Life
www.sunlife.com Toronto, Canada 5000+ Employees

Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life

Testing Specialist II (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
- Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons- Terrible work-life balance:
   1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
   2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
   3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
- If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
- There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

Advice to Senior Management- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
- Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
- Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

Everything that shines ain't always gold

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for less than a year

Pros: Friendly and supportive but it is all an act. Cons: They obviously only want one thing from you, sales. Advice to Senior Management: Stop being cheap and at least give a base salary… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Management Tenure prevents others from succeeding

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Smart driven colleagues Nice work environment (new build) Cons: Management consists of many old folks clubbers - they have been there 20-35 years and tehy want you to know it. They have fortified to… Advice to Senior Management: shake up your managers - do a 360 review on… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sun Life.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All reviews posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.