Sun Life

www.sunlife.com

Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
- Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
   1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
   2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
   3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
- If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
- There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
- Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
- Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

Other reviews for Sun Life

Good Process...no learning

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

Good learning of process, less work, not much pressure

Cons

Working from India is very difficult as the Canadian counterparts are not forthcoming in accomodating meetings at IST, Bad Management as everything depends on the Managers and they can make or break your career. Lots of favouritism

Clean up the processes at ISC.

Good employer, offices located throughout Canada and the world. .

Current Employee - Group Benefits  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Group Benefits in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Some really great employees, definitely the Group Benefits technology leader. Employees can submit all Extended Health and Dental claims online and direct deposit into your bank account.

Cons

Do not listen to their employees concerns. Benefits are average, disability benefits are Taxable, which means that if you go onto disability your benefit payment is taxable therefore less then what you anticipated. A non-taxable disability benefit taxes the premiums paid and the benefit amount you expected, not tax deduction taken during you disability.

Listen to your employees maybe their is value in their concerns. Good strong, mentally at the job makes a strong team and happy employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!