There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

Think twice about "career" as advisor at Sun Life

I worked at Sun Life full-time

Pros

Your meetings commence towards the end of the day. Your evenings are ALWAYS busy with meetings. Downtime is in the morning when you should generally get your admin done. You will spend alot of time on the phone sorting out SNAFU's with head office in the morning.

If this is your idea of a lifestyle with "flexibility" (that's how they sell this job to housewives) then good! At least in a corporation your day ends... the average rep makes around $24000 per YEAR. Check out payscale.

Cons

It is not a great time to be new in this business, and particularly not with Sun Life. Propeller heads at head office have figured out how to transfer much of their business risk to the new recruit, and most reps don't truly understand the liabilities they are taking on. Recruitment practices SHOULD be monitored at branch offices, true, as another poster said.

Here is one of their onerous practices that most new recruits don't get and which could cost them thousands of $'s.

HERE IS A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE OF ONE OF SUN'S PRACTICES: when a rep leaves, they leave their clients behind. All the good clients are snapped up by managers and experienced reps. The remainder go in a pool and one of the manager's jobs is to offload these garbage clients to new reps. I say garbage because everyone in my millieu at Sun who took these ended up paying back SUN LIFE the commissions that a previous rep earned ... costing them thousands more than the miniscule monthly cash flow stream they generated. Would you assume a potential debt of $THOUSANDS of dollars to assume a shaky income stream of $4 or $5 per month? They DO NOT MAKE THIS CLEAR TO YOU. They tell you they are gifting you an opportunity to cross sell the client with other products. Most of these clients are pissed off as they've been assigned to TOO many different advisors in a short period of time... and all these advisors want to do is sell them new policies.

Monitor recruitment at the branch offices for dishonest recruitment practices. If SUN LIFE was really invested in anything other than promoting sales , they would partner new recruits with an established sales person, pay them a base to learn (as another poster noted)... Now that I have seen how SUN LIFE operates I would issue a big caveat about trusting your financial health, as a consumer, to a recruit that is incentivized to sell at all costs and owning only the most superficial and usually imperfect or downright incorrect product knowledge.

290 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Nice people, but don't count on them if you are new to Canada or want to have a personal life

Former Employee - Testing Specialist II  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Testing Specialist II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Financing of Certifications, Conferences and other educational activities
    - Free breakfast/lunch during quarterly meetings

Cons

- Terrible work-life balance:
       1) my boss wouldn't let me use my personal cell phone to text my family, not even during the 30 seconds that it took to walk from my desk to the bathroom - a time when I clearly couldn't be doing work-related stuff.
       2) while I was there, their working-from-home policy got more and more strict. People who used to work from home 2x/week (because they lived far away) were called to work in the office 5x/week.
       3) You get 10 days vacation and it only goes up to 12 days after you've worked with them for 2 years.
    - If you're an immigrant, don't expect them to help you fit in the Canadian work culture. No one ever told me if or what I was doing wrong, how I needed to act, if I should change, etc.
    - There is no knowledge sharing culture. They have people who are specialists in each area or system, and nothing is written down. Only one person knows the information about one system. If the specialist goes on vacation and you need information about that system, too bad for you. You have to wait for that person to come back (and meanwhile you get 2 weeks behind your schedule).

- Start investing in knowledge sharing before it's too late. Get a KS specialist and have them show you how much money you are already losing by not doing it. You will be surprised.
    - Create a program to support employees who are new to Canada and to educate their managers. Help them see and understand each other's differences. You will continue to loose top talent, because you are failing to see how much they can contribute to your company.
    - Learn how to manage remote work. It is a worldwide tendency. It helps people keep a good work-life balance and avoid the long stressful commutes (especially in Toronto).

Good Process...no learning

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning of process, less work, not much pressure

Cons

Working from India is very difficult as the Canadian counterparts are not forthcoming in accomodating meetings at IST, Bad Management as everything depends on the Managers and they can make or break your career. Lots of favouritism

Clean up the processes at ISC.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!