There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

I worked here as a software developer on a short term contract

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wellesley, MA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable. Development teams don't face some of the stress that I've seen at other companies, because A) major decisions are made by people who are experienced in the field and don't impose unrealistic deadlines on unrealistic requirements, B) in the same vein, tasks are delegated equally and efficiently, C) the technology infrastructure is well-built

Cons

Not much to say here since my experience was short term and with one team out of who knows how many. Many team members are offshore, so the scheduling can be kind of a pain. But the effort is made on everybody's part to be punctual for teleconferences and to stay on the same page.

299 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Over promised, under delivered

Current Employee - Group Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Group Sales Representative

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reorganizing for the better, but unrealistic about damage past 5 years of poor service and uncompetitive pricing has done in certain markets

Cons

Internally a mess. Can't deliver strong service or competitive pricing.

Give local regions and office some autonomy in local markets. Current comp/incentive plan has take aways that reps have no control due to uncompetitive pricing and no point of sale flexibility.

Incompetence, inefficient management, in a Mad Men-like environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any reason I'd ever suggest an intelligent person to go work there.

Cons

I was at Sun Life on a short contract, and was very disappointed with my experience. I was worked to the bone, never allowed my legal breaks and was questioned when I left to take even a half-hour lunch. My experience and expertise was constantly questioned, and I felt like asking why they even hired me.

Advice to Canada: come to the US. Evaluate your management - from AVP's to general managers. You will find major problems. Moral is very low; something needs to be done.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life