Sun Microsystems

Strategic Partnerships

Partnerships (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTerrific culture with lots of autonomy and investment in R&D. Very Global company with strong ties and relationships around the world. Innovative and always on the cutting edge of technology. Real spirit of collaboration and community.

ConsLeadership lost its way. There was no real line of succession and ability to iterate and move forward quickly. Invested too much in 2-3 key verticals to the exclusion of others. Missed the boat completely on commodity computing.

Enjoyed the time there

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Tech savvy, good people. Extremely entrepreneurial which is good… Cons: Decision making was too distributed. There were always a number of "chiefs" who… Advice to Senior Management: Better luck next time. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Deep engineering oriented culture that values and encouraged innovation

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: . Deeply intellectual and very engineering-oriented culture . Valued innovation . Challenging… Cons: . Loose management . Some lack of strategic and marketing clarity .… Advice to Senior Management: . Tighten management, while not losing the benefits of engineering satisfaction . Clarify strategic focus and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Sun Microsystems.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.