Sun Microsystems
www.sun.com Santa Clara, CA 5000+ Employees

Smart engineers, mismanaged company

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of talented engineers who take pride in their work. Mostly collaborative environment and decent work-life balance. Fun to be part of one of the premier tech companies of the dot-com era.

ConsCompany is downsizing, struggling to survive, giving a sense of impending doom. Entire project are cut and the staff is let go, instead of being reassigned elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some way to boost morale, and stop the brain-drain of engineers leaving the company.

The most wonderful, empowering and friendly enterprise I have worked for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Newark, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Empowered to take decisions Friendly management Venues for training, and furthering education Good… Cons: Strategy to survive and sustain ......... Advice to Senior Management: Wish we could have survived. Sun was the best company… More

Great Company

Tech IV (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Excellent People to work with. Learned so much. Had a lot of fun. Great… Cons: Got laid off for no fault of my own. Company was acquired… Advice to Senior Management: Stop cutting costs by laying off your most skilled workers.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Sun Microsystems.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.