Sun Microsystems
3.4 of 5 1,005 reviews
www.sun.com Santa Clara, CA 5000+ Employees

Life at Sun was a blast! Good people, many lessons to learn. Scott was the best, bar none.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

ProsIn the early years it was a lot of hard work, but also so much fun. We banded together, beer busts, water fights, April Fools and all. Worked hard and played hard.

ConsBy and large the planets could have been a good thing, however it fell apart. Egos somehow always get in the way, folks somehow cannot do good work for the sake of all. Too bad, Sun was a magical place until people's egos get in the way. Those long haired, ponytail types somehow managed to take down the castle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis would be a general statement to any corporate entity: HR is for management and not for the employees. Too bad. HR should be an unbiased source where everyone feels safe. One should never have to be concerned that the boss will always win because s/he is in management.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time

Pros: People were great to work with Cons: Dependency on the channel partners Advice to Senior Management: Good luck Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was the best of time, and the worst of times

Technical Writer IV (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Informal atmosphere, talented employees, creative Cons: Political at times, sad that Scott sold out to The… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sun Microsystems.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.