Sun Microsystems

www.sun.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems

Good place to work for, despite some unneeded bureaucracy at management level

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Easy Job, not too much pressure. If you are not too career-focused you can stay there forever without working too hard. Good benefits, good colleagues, good fun, great technology products!

Cons

Very unclear career path, inconsistent quality of Senior Managers. Too focused on revenue reporting, not enough on profit margins.

Cut the middle management bureaucracy - continue on delivering outstanding value to customers

1044 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Microsystems (View Most Recent)

I love my job at Sun

Current Employee - IT Architect in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Sun encourages a liberal work from home policy. The ability to work from any Sun office, in any city. The ability to move within Sun, between groups and projects.

Cons

senior management who think changing the stock ticker from SUNW to JAVA was a good idea.
    lots of conference calls.

how about we put someone in charge who will drive the value of the company "UP", instead of coming up with ridiculous schemes to increase profitability through reduction in cost, when that reduction in cost results in a severe quality control issue.

Time to reinvent the company revenue model and clear out the apparatchiks in senior management.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Pluralistic and inclusive processes throughout the work environs for the most part. Flexible working hours and the ability to WFH make a big difference. One day less of commuting by itself substantially reduces my stress level and makes me sharper and more resourceful when I am in the office. Compensation is fair and it is generally a good work environment.

Cons

The pluralism mentioned above may be one reason why there is not a more clear vision of company goals. Sometimes I believe that even if I execute well, the flawed strategy I'm implementing will not produce a good result for the company because of the lack of strategic vision. Hubris in archaic brands and business models often passes for strategy. Finally, the staggering number of hours spent at meetings is a killer. I'm an individual contributor and I spend 20% of my workweek in meetings. During the deluge of quarterly all hands meetings that bumps past 25% for a couple of weeks. The inclusion of many in the information and decision making chain is largely a good thing, but it could be pulled off a lot more quickly IMO.

We need one less layer of senior management. Many high profile projects end up top heavy with plenty of upper level folk lingering around to have their say, but not enough people actually work to implement the project to make it successful or complete it on schedule. The top heaviness also keeps most of the goals blurry as too many organizational levels create their own list of annual goals. At the worker bee level that means there's 3-4 different sets of goals you've been handed by different levels of upper management for the year. It's not always clear how, or if they align, so often they get ignored and simply mentioned in our employee reviews like the buzzword window dressing they are.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems