There are newer employer reviews for Sun Microsystems

Great place to work if family comes first in your life!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent work / life balance!

Cons

The company is dispersed - you often don't know what others are doing; as a result efforts can be unintentionally doubled.

Advice to Management

Work from home is the best benefit at Sun - encourage people to use it!

Other Employee Reviews for Sun Microsystems

1. Work at Sun and be able to work from anywhere

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Flexible work place, including working from home, is a solid part of the culture. They fully support it. While other companies are trying to figure out ways of keeping their employees on campus with things like free meals or laundry, or...whatever else will remove any reason to leave campus, Sun understands about life/work balance. They fully support working from home now and again. I can go into the office, then leave later in the day to work from home, or work from home all day...no special permission needed. They provide direct tie-ins to the company's servers so that my desktop at home is exact;y like my desktop at work...because it is the same. While other's are slaves in the company ship, Sun has freed their employees of the bondage of the day to day office. I'll take that anday...I can do my own laundry and make my own lunch.

Cons

The stock movement isn't making anyone rich right now. The cafeteria doesn't have the best food, but when you can work so easily from home, that matters little. There are some who would say its a culture in transition, which I would agree with. If you're a fan of the old culture, which was more of a maverick type, "lets take on the world", you might miss that part of it. The newer culture is still highly motivated but less adversarial about competitors...a good thing in my opinion. Regardless, though, its little concern, to most who embrace the new culture.

Advice to Management

Don't fire me! I love it here!!

2. Write or wrong Senior leadership does believe that they are making the correct decisions.

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Systems Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Systems Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Flexible working environment, pay is not the best but it is competitive

Cons

Poor job security - too many RIF's, stock price had been low for years, hard to move up/around within the company...easy to get stuck

Advice to Management

Stop reorging every few months. try to focus more on core competencies instead of spreading too thin. focus on what we are good at and keep the focus. Need to either grow up or have some adult supervision with senior leadership. It's like you are kids in a candy shop...oh look it's Sunrays and Secure Global Desktop, no look it's Solaris 10 on x64, no wait, it's MySQL...oops, wrong again, it's actually Black Box and Eco responsibility.