Sun Products Corporation

www.sunproductscorp.com
  www.sunproductscorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sun Products Corporation

Inconsistency between the message and the action

Current Employee - Leadership
Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Sun is one of the larger employers in the area, and pays a decent wage for the Bowling Green market. If you don't mind the long hours (12 hour shifts) and rotating days off, the schedule actually works out pretty well for a lot of people. The benefits offered are above average, starting on the first day of work--for everyone, not just management--and everyone starts with 2 weeks of vacation. The majority of the department managers are good and know what they are doing and will treat you fairly if you do your job and are fair to them. The factory itself is clean and the work itself is not difficult or heavy. Sun sometimes posts job openings internally first before recruiting externally, so if you are interested in moving laterally or upwards, it's possible since it is a large organization.

Cons

One of the major downsides is that the night shifts receive very little support or communication from the management, save for a couple of department managers who will make the effort to stay late and/or come in early to touch base with the night shifts. HR support is nil, and employee advocacy is a concept that is foreign to HR at Sun--management is always right no matter what the facts of the situation might be. I hope that this turns around since I have seen other companies unionize when employees feel that nobody is on their side.

The other major downside that I have seen is that there is a great deal of promotions being given based on politics and favortism, and not necessarily one's ability to do the job. This has created a lot of talk and some resentment among the mid-level leadership, and it isn't fair to those who are qualified and quietly come in and do their jobs without grandstanding and playing the political games. It's also worth noting that there are few women in the upper leadership roles at this facility.

There is a major disconnect between the Lean initiatives the company is saying they embrace and the continual creation of more middle-management jobs, which are jobs duplicating or even tripling the efforts of jobs they already have in place and filled...just don't get this part!!!

1) Provide support to all shifts/departments equally. With the top-heavy staffing at the location, there is definitely the leadership manpower to do this.

2) Networking is great, we all like to promote those we know, but there has to be a balance. Implement 360 degree reviews, talk to more than one person, do some serious looking at the merits of each candidate before deciding on who to promote. It should be based on merit.

3) More balanced role for HR--Someone has muzzled the HR department but they really should be allowed to be more objective in management-employee conflicts. I've been wrong as a manager, and I'm sure that I am not the only one.

4) Too much middle management being added, and too much duplication of efforts at the location--we don't need any more duplicate jobs here.

5) What works for corporate does not necessarily work for other locations, and this includes here. Go ahead and do what they say so you don't get in trouble, but adapt it to fit Bowling Green.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Products Corporation (View Most Recent)

Very good job.

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked with alot of great people.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate and plant.

Use the knowledge of their employees.

Good experience but some management concerns

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good people generally, pay is pretty good for the marketplace

Cons

Recent management changes have left the company somewhat dyslexic about their direction, promotions less likely in certain areas of the company

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Products Corporation

Worked for Sun Products Corporation? Contribute to the Community!