Sun-Times

www.thesuntimesgroup.com
  www.thesuntimesgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sun-Times

Wonderful. I was laid off after 16 years, and the Post-Tribune recognized my worth.

Current Employee - Reporting Correspondent in Crown Point, IN
Current Employee - Reporting Correspondent in Crown Point, IN

I have been working at Sun-Times as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was hoping for a full-time position, but the editors worked with me on a correspondent contract that has kept me working and pays the bills.

Cons

There are so few full-timers that a call to the newsroom goes to voicemail. I have to anticipate breaking news in a competitive situation and let the editors know ahead of time, or the other local paper will beat me to web. Some of my competitive stories are held over to weekend editions, and I get beat. The usual. Having been an assigning editor, I understand it. I just don't like it.

Well, put me on the job full-time , for starters. Heheh. At full-time salary and exempt from hourly pay, I'd be laying down roots the community and turning out three times the copy I produce now.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Sun-Times (View Most Recent)

Great people, unclear mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun-Times

Pros

The big name recognition is great. It can help you move from entry level to mid level if you use it the right way.

Cons

Honestly the company mission seems unclear to me and it seems like the different departments don't work together to make the company better. Everyone is nice for sure but the bottom line would be better served by a little conflict to encourage growth and honesty.

Leaky Boat Floundering at Sea but the Captain is More Worried about his Palm Tree

Former Employee - Information Technologies Systems Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technologies Systems Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun-Times

Pros

Anything you wanted to learn was available if you wanted it. Peers were helpful and committed to seeing a paper get out every day, no matter the hurdles. If you helped get passed the problem, peers and end users were appreciative and complimentary. Never a dull day.

Cons

Long hours with little or no recompense. Very little in the way of recognition of effort and personal sacrifice from higher management. Pay increases and or promotion only to the selected few. Labor reductions only to the bottom of the ladder; very little labor reductions at the top of ladder. Corporate structure is management heavy.

Come see what is really happening in the front line trenches. Your generals aren't providing you with the actual information you should have to be making the decisions that have been made. Companies can't be run by looking at the spreadsheet only. Improve your product rather than reduce labor force to stay profitable. Return to local news where Sun-Times made it mark.

There are newer employer reviews for Sun-Times