SunEdison

There are newer employer reviews for SunEdison

Serious inter-company communication issues

Former Employee - SDP in Belmont, CA
Former Employee - SDP in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has such bad communication issues that nobody knows where you are supposed to be or what you're supposed to be doing. You can come in at noon if you want to, leave at 1 pm every day. You can just not come to work for 3 days straight. It doesn't matter. So if that sounds appealing to you, that could be a pro.

A legitimate huge pro is the fact that it is in the Bay Area. This is probably the main selling point for most of the out-of-college recruits. There's also lots of parking so you won't have to worry about that.

Cons

1. Huge lack of communication and accountability

I worked here as a college intern. They were paying me very well for my career. Yet, I had zero responsibility. Zero tasks to do, zero deadlines, zero challenges. I'm pretty sure I could get to the office at noon and leave at 2 pm and no one would notice because no one needed me for anything. I could have left for an entire week without telling anyone and no one would have been able to tell: I would have missed no meetings, no e-mails, no phone calls. Though my case was pretty extreme, I had other friends in the company that also, had absolutely nothing to do and just sat around and got paid for it. Keep in mind that's after getting paid pretty handsomely for an intern ($25+/hr) and with the "manager" swearing you had stuff to do. Keep in mind also that I consistently and relentlessly bugged people for work. A total waste of money for SunEdison and a total waste of time for the interns. Speaks volumes about the company's lack of control over its own employees.

To potential university recruits from prestigious schools: if you have OPTIONS, which you probably do, do NOT choose SunEdison. Please. I have many friends at Exxon, Chevron, Shell, which are having a phenomenal time, have tasks to do, and are clearly been challenged. This internship was so bad, I am literally leaving it off my resume.

2. Doesn't pay well

If you're an engineer from a top school, SunEdison is going to come and offer you 55k out of school with a straight face when the average starting engineering salary for top schools is 75k. They will lowball you out of 20k out of school. Not worth it. Again, if you have options, look elsewhere.

Stop hiring people. The company is so obsessed with growing as fast as possible that they hire people nonstop, regardless whether new people are needed or not. This leaves a lot of new people with nothing to do: wasted dollars and manpower for SunEdison. Furthermore, hiring so many people all the time means that the new people never get a chance to "adapt" to the company. As a result, you can be in floor and have a dozen vastly different management styles. The company is simply not cohesive. If the company doesn't keep this in check, they are going to go the way of PeopleExpress.

61 Other Employee Reviews for SunEdison (View Most Recent)

Excellent summer internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Solar Development Program in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Development Program in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Exposure to multiple groups within the company, great hands-on experience, excellent people to work with.

Cons

The summer is very short, and I would have liked to stay longer.

Decent company, but not so hot on the strategy.

Former Employee - Business Development Analyst in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Analyst in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Diversified businesses, seem to really be taking a step in the right direction with the culture training and creating more accountability,

Cons

I question the strategy of the company, including a recent acquisition. We will see if it can fulfill it's ambitions to be one of the most successful three solar companies.

Hire more experienced managers from the tech sector.

There are newer employer reviews for SunEdison