Serious inter-company communication issues

Former Intern - SDP in Belmont, CA
Former Intern - SDP in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has such bad communication issues that nobody knows where you are supposed to be or what you're supposed to be doing. You can come in at noon if you want to, leave at 1 pm every day. You can just not come to work for 3 days straight. It doesn't matter. So if that sounds appealing to you, that could be a pro.

A legitimate huge pro is the fact that it is in the Bay Area. This is probably the main selling point for most of the out-of-college recruits. There's also lots of parking so you won't have to worry about that.

Cons

1. Huge lack of communication and accountability

I worked here as a college intern. They were paying me very well for my career. Yet, I had zero responsibility. Zero tasks to do, zero deadlines, zero challenges. I'm pretty sure I could get to the office at noon and leave at 2 pm and no one would notice because no one needed me for anything. I could have left for an entire week without telling anyone and no one would have been able to tell: I would have missed no meetings, no e-mails, no phone calls. Though my case was pretty extreme, I had other friends in the company that also, had absolutely nothing to do and just sat around and got paid for it. Keep in mind that's after getting paid pretty handsomely for an intern ($25+/hr) and with the "manager" swearing you had stuff to do. Keep in mind also that I consistently and relentlessly bugged people for work. A total waste of money for SunEdison and a total waste of time for the interns. Speaks volumes about the company's lack of control over its own employees.

To potential university recruits from prestigious schools: if you have OPTIONS, which you probably do, do NOT choose SunEdison. Please. I have many friends at Exxon, Chevron, Shell, which are having a phenomenal time, have tasks to do, and are clearly been challenged. This internship was so bad, I am literally leaving it off my resume.

2. Doesn't pay well

If you're an engineer from a top school, SunEdison is going to come and offer you 55k out of school with a straight face when the average starting engineering salary for top schools is 75k. They will lowball you out of 20k out of school. Not worth it. Again, if you have options, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people. The company is so obsessed with growing as fast as possible that they hire people nonstop, regardless whether new people are needed or not. This leaves a lot of new people with nothing to do: wasted dollars and manpower for SunEdison. Furthermore, hiring so many people all the time means that the new people never get a chance to "adapt" to the company. As a result, you can be in floor and have a dozen vastly different management styles. The company is simply not cohesive. If the company doesn't keep this in check, they are going to go the way of PeopleExpress.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I used to love my career, but after working at SunEdison, I hate it.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are not many pros here. The company is disorganized, so there is a chance to make an impact resulting in decent career opportunities, provided you know how to play politics (see cons).
    There are also lots of smart, interesting people here.

Cons

Too many to list. Culture is terrible, though the company has recognized this and has tried hard over the last 2 years to improve culture. As an example of bad culture, there is a tendency to blame others on problems instead of solving problems.
    Infrastructure is weak and fragmented.
    People are seen as resources to be used, not as individuals.
    Horrible politics dampen productivity and destroys morale.
    Invoices to 3rd party vendors don't get paid on time if at all.

Advice to Management

Yes, the stock price has gone up, but so have the stock prices for all the other solar companies, so don't give yourself to much credit. Good ideas can come from the individual contributors so listen to what they have to say. Get rid of the politics.

Long hours, good people, poor management

Current Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the team I work with. The people care and are all over worked, but still willing to try to help you.

Cons

Management changes every few months. It is very hard to get promoted when you have 5 managers in 2 years. The company is confused about what it is doing and where it is going. Broken workflows, inconsistent direction (because every management change comes with a new agenda). Poor cash management, lack of resources, unrealistic expectations, etc...

Advice to Management

Promote from within, follow best project management practices, make data driven decisions, not political ones. Provide stock to everyone, not just Directors and above.