SunGard Financial Systems

financialsystems.sungard.com

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Nice working environment, interesting projects to work on, no pressure.
Good and competitive benefits, generous vacation.

Cons

Company outsourcing IT, but will redeploy you if a position is available.
No career growth, bad choices in promotions, archaic and obsoleted software
Business unit IT management(my firm) very disorganized. Parent management(Sungard) very intelligent people who know what they are doing.

Salaries, though good are lagging.

Other reviews for SunGard Financial Systems

Not a bad software company, but it's run by Private Equity and it shows

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Big company, lots of technology support. Global presence, global client base. Lots of referenceable clients, lots of potential client exposure and experience to be had, if you're in the right parts.

Cons

Too lean, it makes it difficult to coordinate the simplest of things because everything is onshored or offshored or outsourced to different parts of the country and the world. Too few people in each function. Too much debt.

Invest in growth areas and disinvest in slow areas is a good strategy, but the organization is as fast as its slowest members, especially back office, even if you try to use technology to solve problems.

Review of Consultant position for Sungard Financial Systems circa 2010 - Excellent Experience

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

I am approaching my second year as a consultant at Sungard Financial Systems and, in all honesty, my experience has been 100% positive. My colleagues are a great group of people from whom I have learned many things. The consultants I work with are very knowledge and they like their profession; it shows in our day to day interactions. I have made some great friends.

Our management is cognizant of the consultant's efforts and know just how much to manage our work. Also, I think there is a company-wide effort by management to be as transparent as possible. Additionally, I am glad that management and the company in general, are fiscally conservative practically in all regards. Very little is wasted, at least in my office. On the same vein, I also appreciate the steps Sungard has taken to be as environmentally friendly as possible. I know that aspect is off topic, but it makes me proud to be part of the Sungard group.

Last but not least, although I have worked on many projects by now, I have never been over worked. My work week seldom spans more than 45 hours and I really like that. If you calculate how much I make for how many hours I work, then you would arrive at a number that is on par with the majority of Consulting firms. This has allowed me to pursue certifications and classes without overburdening me.

Sungard Financial Systems was the first position where I felt like a true professional and I will always be a fan of the company.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is the topic of compensation. The benefits at Sungard are great and the lifestyle is very manageable. The problem is that, at least within my group, the bonuses are small compared to other companies. As I already mentioned, salary is on par with other Consulting firms when you consider your work week. The bonuses over the last two years were small although you have to factor that 2008 - 2009 were brutal for Banking and Finance in general.

While I understand that the private owners are finally collecting dividends on the Leveraged Buyout of Sungard, I think that, whenever possible, compensation should be increased when the employee has performed. If too many people leave for better paying positions, then that puts certain groups in a difficult situation. Also, although I am not aware of the R&D undertaken, I get the sense that it is not a top priority. There is some great software being developed at Sungard and then there is software that is outdated and needs more than just patches.
    In any event, I think that management is doing a great job and wish Sungard all the best now and in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for SunGard Financial Systems.

Worked for SunGard Financial Systems? Contribute to the Community!