SunGard

Hard work for low pay

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at SunGard

Pros

It is a large and diverse company with many opportunities. Depending on the division, the work can be very challenging and rewarding. It will almost always be a good resume builder.

Cons

The company was taken private in an LBO in 2005. Since then they have struggled with debt repayment and finances are very tight. No matter how much money the company makes, it isn't enough. Employees will be given small raises, little to no bonuses, and told to keep all expenses to a minimum.

Your employees are not as dumb and naive as you think they are.

285 Other Employee Reviews for SunGard (View Most Recent)

Balancing Act.....

Former Employee - Consulting in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consulting in New York, NY

I worked at SunGard

Pros

We work within an exciting, cutting edge industry. Good benefits package, small BU. Relaxed environment. We have some very smart people within organization. Learning a blend of finance/accounting plus technology is helpful and never gets boring

Cons

Senior management does not communicte effectively. Promotions are made by seniority, not ability. No Accountability within organization, no standard operating platform. Poor leadership; managers do not set positive example for employees to follow. Morale is low due to inconsistent recognition of performance. Learning on the job can be improved by senior employees teaching others.

Be consistent in your actions/communications. Recognize people who work hard and put have their heart, head and hands on the line for the company.

The Few, the Proud...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at SunGard

Pros

The company that was purchased by SunGard had generous vacation allowances. SunGard allowed us to keep them. There are a number of good people in the ranks of the division, many of whom are good people to work with. The projects are challenging, and with a small staff, there is room to play a number of roles.

Cons

As some have pointed out, there are a number of different divisions in the company. Each is its own entity. Our division was purchased by SunGard, and then SunGard was its self purchased. There was a strategy of reducing head count via attrition and layoffs, in an attempt to make the division more profitable. Besides being demoralizing, it also makes it difficult to advance your career in a company that is shipping whole departments overseas. Our location shrank about 70% before I left.

There is only so many people who are redundant. After a while it becomes necessary to limit the scope of the business if you are going to keep reducing headcount. Many of your employees are as intelligent as you are, if not more so. Don't make the mistake of keeping your employees out of the loop.

There are newer employer reviews for SunGard