There are newer employer reviews for SunGard

Hard work for low pay

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at SunGard

Pros

It is a large and diverse company with many opportunities. Depending on the division, the work can be very challenging and rewarding. It will almost always be a good resume builder.

Cons

The company was taken private in an LBO in 2005. Since then they have struggled with debt repayment and finances are very tight. No matter how much money the company makes, it isn't enough. Employees will be given small raises, little to no bonuses, and told to keep all expenses to a minimum.

Your employees are not as dumb and naive as you think they are.

reviews filtered by

The Few, the Proud...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at SunGard

Pros

The company that was purchased by SunGard had generous vacation allowances. SunGard allowed us to keep them. There are a number of good people in the ranks of the division, many of whom are good people to work with. The projects are challenging, and with a small staff, there is room to play a number of roles.

Cons

As some have pointed out, there are a number of different divisions in the company. Each is its own entity. Our division was purchased by SunGard, and then SunGard was its self purchased. There was a strategy of reducing head count via attrition and layoffs, in an attempt to make the division more profitable. Besides being demoralizing, it also makes it difficult to advance your career in a company that is shipping whole departments overseas. Our location shrank about 70% before I left.

There is only so many people who are redundant. After a while it becomes necessary to limit the scope of the business if you are going to keep reducing headcount. Many of your employees are as intelligent as you are, if not more so. Don't make the mistake of keeping your employees out of the loop.

2. Great company with a major downside.

Current Employee - Junior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SunGard

Pros

The flexibility to work from home and from any city is a great advantage. This is huge from a savings point of view as well as to balance work/life balance. The bosses are very supportive and understanding of you and your family situations. This makes it easier to relate and mention any thing to them. The perks are extremely good and the company is very nice in giving whatever is needed without asking questions. The important thing here is the word "asking". This shows that the company knows what an employee needs and therefore reduces severe time and uncomfortable situations.

Cons

Professional growth is very limited due to less jobs at the top. I know employees who have worked for almost 5 years in the same position. This is a serious issue as it leads to low morale and hence less productivity.

Secondly, as we are in a very niche segment, knowledge cannot be transferred to any other company. This is a major hindrance because for any reason if someone wants to leave, getting a job makes it extremely difficult.

Thirdly, training provided is very limited as everyone is extremely busy. all new employees are expected to jump in and learn on the job.

Please create a system for promoting employees and setup milestones if needed.

There are newer employer reviews for SunGard