There are newer employer reviews for SunGard

If you consider yourself a professional in your field, stay away.

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great. Clients were terrific to work with and provided interesting business challenges.

Cons

Management is the worst I've ever seen, from mid level to the business unit VPs. They have no experience in solving problems, very poor negotiation skills and deplorable people skills. Managers are petty and childish. There is too much micromanagement which squashes creativity and innovation. Promotions are based on 'old boy' cliques and friendships. Actual skill, experience and results are not part of the equation. Turnover of skilled employees is high, while employees with lesser skill and experience remain and are expected to solve complex problems with no direction from management or documented processes to reference.

Advice to Management

Real change and progress won't occur until significant management changes are made. Middle managers need to be evaluated on their ability to retain employees as well as providing direction, processes and procedures for their teams. If a manager cannot meet these kind of minimal standards,, they should not be in the position. Stop promoting your friends.

reviews filtered by

High Pressure High Stress Environment

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Thornton, CO

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my colleagues, many exceptional engineers.

Cons

Lower management is petty and plays favorites while upper managements only concern is to make sure that the Blackstone group gets it's cut.
    Soul crushing on-call
    Good old boy mentality with director level management and above.
    Aging architecture doesn't really align with it's wanting to be state of the art.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to bring in the right tools and technology or sell the business to someone who will.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ontario, CA

I have been working at SunGard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a good copany to work for, my product is closing on end of life, and there are no propects else where in the company for me, strange for such a large company

Cons

no inter company movement, or mechanism is in place, or, it is very hard to find

Advice to Management

inter company movement, needs to be improved, I have heard for years that it is iproving, but I have not seen any improvement