There are newer employer reviews for SunPower

A winner in Solar, but question upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Pros

I work in the Richmond office. It's convenient to my home. It's a pleasant work environment with lots of cool benefits like a gym, restaurant, etc. I have amazing coworkers. I have a great manager. I'm fortunate to feel genuinely good about what I do, being in the solar industry.

Cons

I don't think upper management really understands the construction business. Weird, unfounded HR policies around the use of contractors on construction projects. Lots of reorgs with the same people in charge every time.

Advice to Management

Look really hard at yourselves and think about whether or not you are qualified to do your job.

Other Employee Reviews for SunPower

Great support from staff

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Richmond, CA

Pros

Good people environment and good work atmosphere (at least in the Richmond office).

Cons

The Company lacked leadership and development programs to employees to develop new skills or to learn more about the company.

Advice to Management

Develop employee skills through development programs. Such programs will help foster current employees and allow them to fill positions without having to hire from the outside. Promote from within.

Layoffs every two years. Last in - first out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Pros

Sunpower makes the best PV solar technology .

Cons

Employees are overworked to the point of failure. Too few people are being asked to do too many things. Everyone pretends projects are under control but actually most projects are on the brink of failure. Then if something goes wrong and you are involved you are first in line at the next layoff. Managers do not talk to each other so groups that need to communicate often don't. Some managers are really poor and woe to you if you get a bad one.

Advice to Management

Better respect for employees. Break down the silos in the organization so people can work together rather than against each other.