There are newer employer reviews for SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Great technology and smart people in a mix of chaos and big business

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Pros

It is a green company with many who believe in the cause. Pay is good. There is lots of work (lots), but it comes with lots of flexibility. Many talented people around. They are smart and it is an easygoing atmosphere.

Cons

To be completely sustainable, a company has to be socially sustainable too, which may be missing sometimes. Organized chaos in an organization with many hierarchy levels. Internal communication and common sense can suffer due to sweeping business decisions. Profit margins rule.

Some seem to pretend to be hip and green, but they are not and it shows.

75 Other Employee Reviews for SunPower (San Jose, CA) (View Most Recent)

Decent place to work if you get the right manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Pros

Sunpower is growing very fast so there is opportunities for growth. It's in a good position in the solar market because it has the best solar cells in the world.

The office in Richmond is incredible. It's like a little forest in there with trees inside the office, low-wall cubicles, open space, roomy, high ceiling, and lots of sunshine and windows. If you get a chance to work at the Richmond office, take it. It's one of the best offices you'll ever see in the corporate world.

Cons

I had a terrible manager. He was young so he cared about himself way more than his own team. He would throw his team under the bus when things get tough. He had almost no people skills or any knowledge of how to manage a team.

I quit even though I was very valuable to the team and they tried hard to get me to stay.

Also, the atmosphere/culture of the company make sit "Ok" for higher level managers to be asses. There seems to be more angry managers here than in other companies I've worked for.

Keep in mind that the solar industry is not doing so well so they are less likely to convert you to full time.

Teach managers people skills and how to manage their teams. This company needs to value its employees more.

decent place to work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at SunPower (San Jose, CA)

Pros

its a stable job, lots of opportunity for people who work hard

Cons

lots of dead weight and under-preforming employees

There are newer employer reviews for SunPower (San Jose, CA)