Suffering company

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many fantastic and smart people working there. The work is hard, but I stayed all those years because of the people I worked with.

Cons

Every year since 2006, there have been layoffs in our department and this year they are big again all across the bank. These waves began in the summer and are planned to continue through the rest of the year at a minimum. Banks are shrinking, so if you are looking for security, you won't find it here. After you put in months of 60 hour weeks, you could still be laid off.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the changes you will need to do with Dodd-Frank. I'm afraid you've lost so much banking knowledge by walking us out the door that you'll have a hard time with the massive development you'll need to do for that.

reviews filtered by

Great opportunity, but riddled with change!

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, and competitive salaries. Long standing reputation in the community for providing outstanding customer service. Has passionate employees that tend to stay with the company for the major part of their career.

Cons

Company is trying to change too many things in too short a time, simply because other banks are doing it. Not all decisions seem to be well thought out.

Advice to Management

Slow down with the changes. Distinguish SunTrust not just by name, but by truly focusing on whats best for the client. This includes not adding or raising fees simply because all of the other BIG banks are doing it and getting away with it.

IT "Transformation" Turmoil

Current Employee - EIS in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - EIS in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, people, opportunities for training

Cons

Infighting upper management, lack of trust

Advice to Management

establish a truly clear direction without the need to figure out whether the message is politically motivated or good sense. Get tier 2's to buy in TOGETHER to a common set of goals with clearly defined responsibilities between them to stop the constant duplication of effort due to conflicting opinions about how to do something or whether it's being done correctly.