middle of the pack

Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Suncor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Challenging and diverse work
- We are a leader among oil patch peers in area of sustainable environmental development (but not for people and health/wellness)
- Many experienced and intelligent people to work with and learn from

Cons

- Compensation is average or below (its openly stated that they aim for 50th percentile)
- Company maturity level means there are often inconsistent ways that work gets done or people get treated.
- Sr Leaders set way too many goals and top priorities, so people are left scrambling to do and change too many things at once. We need fewer and clearer goals. We are like a conflicted teenager wanting it all now, but don't yet have the skills and experience to do it all just yet. Maturing takes some time.
- It’s a "who you know" organization and work or new opportunities get done thru connections, not processes.
- Limited options for alternative work arrangements or support for employee wellness. e.g. you can't be a part-time employee (although backroom deals are 'arranged'), there's limited support for remote work from home, reactive (vs proactive) employee wellness, etc.

Advice to Management

The drive to Operational Excellence is a journey and we won't arrive tomorrow. Lets set fewer and simpler goals and priorities because people are overwhelmed with the desire to change everything "now".

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I experience many different activities and interactions through the course of my workday - it's not boring!

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Suncor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believe I receive satisfactory remuneration for the work I do and am happy with the year end 'bonus' which all employees share in. I'm provided with a multitude of experiences (and challenges) in my work and it's very interesting.

Cons

Some days it's a little overwhelming and you need to prioritize your work. I think some areas of the company run too lean in terms of manpower (front line) and others have too much fat (office and I hazard to say a lot of Directors, GM's, VP's)

Advice to Management

Take a good look at staffing levels, work loads and completion of tasks throughout the company to identify areas where work levels can be shifted or workforce reduced / redirected to other areas in need of additional manpower. Too many 'kingdoms' where royal courts are large.

All good

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Suncor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and work life balance

Cons

Long days and yellow busses suck

Advice to Management

Stop using kids yellow busses to transport us around