Often choose the wrong people to lay off

Current Employee - Sales  in  Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance. Employees, in general, have passion for providing value, servie and solutions to customers.

Cons

Hopefully getting better. Last round of layoffs was the roughest yet. We cannot continue to cut to profitability.

Maybe the Board should consider whether we have the right Executive leadership. We, in the front lines, are not convinced.

Other Reviews for Sungard Availability Services

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Monthly recurring revenue, finally some competent senior managers, extraordinary fellow employees who make things

Cons

Ownership by investment bankers is sucking the life out of SunGard by the support huge debt service - plus poor decisions encumber the operations and service of customers has evidenced by the significant reduction in customer count and revenue.

Current management focus focus and focus on taking care of customers by cleaning up data management apps and customer support apps..

Joining Sungard is the best career move a network engineer can make.

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sungard Employees - 'nuff said. :)

Experience - you will be working on multiple networks and every kind of network equipment out there: firewalls, load balancers, switches, routers, WAN acceleration devices, etc. You will take your career, skills and professional competency to a new level. You will be given all the responsibilty you can handle and will learn both the technical and the business side of IT. If you are a performance and results-oriented person, there is no limit to how far you can go in this company.

Compensation and Benefits - While everyone wants to make more money my salary is a little higher than most engineers in this area of the country. Add the fact that I get to work from home (Sungard is very much pro-telecommuting) and it is a slam dunk. The benefits, notably the medical benefits and the employee costs, are some of the best I've seen.

Formal Training - If you are responsible for a certain type of technology you will be trained on it and reimbursed for the certification tests that you pass.

Cons

- The expense reimbursement system needs to be overhauled. Most tend to avoid getting entangled in it and this results in far less face-to-face meetings with the customer by engineers.

Allow much more interaction between the sales people and the engineers.

There are newer employer reviews for Sungard Availability Services.

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!