There are newer employer reviews for Sungevity

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

I worked at Sungevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably the largest collection of really smart, dedicated and modern professionals that I've had the pleasure of working with. Before the contractions, someone who was willing to innovate could get ahead. And there are some great folks in upper management.

Cons

Lot of poor decisions from above, becoming decrees issued from the bunkers of their minds.
Also, it was messed up before, but things really didn't get evil until they hired the vampire.

Next time you do something like this startup, try to really appreciate the value of your work force, and the need to listen to the people that are ACTUALLY creating the workflows. It's not just about the sales and marketing, I hope you realize that once the dominoes fall. Great idea and noble attempt, founders, but speaking for myself, and I believe most of the others in my situation, after 2-1/2 years (almost from the beginning) of exceeding my title and hours, I think I deserved more than being called in mid-day on a Friday to be laid off with a two week "severance" (incidentally, the "waiting period" before getting UI), and escorted out like a criminal. But trust that it really is your loss and will be someone else's gain.

48 Other Employee Reviews for Sungevity (View Most Recent)

The Sun Has Set on Sungevity

I worked at Sungevity full-time

Pros

- Decent compensation
    - Free food (and while the food is nothing more than what can be found on Costco shelves plus some occasional produce and hummus wraps, it beats no free food)
    - Affordable parking lot next door

Cons

The leadership is sorely lacking. No direction. No momentum. Most importantly, no idea how to raise money, which is why most of the senior staff is now working part-time and the most talented (and also the most expensive) employees have all been laid-off or quit. Every all-hands meeting is a new chance to lay off more people. There is zero job security even if you are a top performer.

Promotions are based on whims, and don't necessarily go to people with the right backgrounds and experience to do the jobs. Sometimes I think they just promote unqualified people because hiring someone from the outside takes too long. The company suffers because of this.

The culture that senior management would like to create has not happened. Instead there is a culture of fear and micromanagement. If you want to work in solar try interviewing at one of the more stable and better-funded competitors.

You are well intended, but lack the business acumen to run a company anywhere but into the ground.

Constant change with a lack of transparency or security

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours were flexible. Pay was pretty good.

Cons

Kitchen used to be stocked, but had terrible complimentary foods. Good people were constantly getting fired. Managers either micro-manage or hardly manage at all. Work was not challenging. Constant changes were being made while pay was becoming less. Co-workers were immature and unprofessional.

To better understand how senior management

There are newer employer reviews for Sungevity

Worked for Sungevity? Contribute to the Community!