There are newer employer reviews for Sungevity

Great solar company!

Current Employee - Design and Engineering Specialist in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Design and Engineering Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good values, great CEO, great mission

Cons

Highly competitive field of solar, have to increase production every so often.

More software, more software, more software

51 Other Employee Reviews for Sungevity (View Most Recent)

Great Company, Great Employees

Current Employee - Technical Solar Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Solar Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The best office culture I could ask for as a young professional. Everyone maintains a high level of dedication and hard work on the job, yet can also maintain a very fun work environment.
    - With the company growing so fast, the training for new employees is better than ever. The training I went through fully prepared me for my position at Sungevity. I believe the company is very structured even while experiencing such rapid growth. Props to management.
    - Working at Sungevity comes along with the excitement of working in such a hot industry with very bright minds. I have enjoyed every minute on the job so far.

Cons

- Can be a grind at certain points on the job, but that comes with anything in life.

Keep up the great work with training and adapting to rapid growth! I respect how well the training has gone.

Very Poor Mid-Level Management

Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the solar industry has great long term opportunities. Office environment is good.

Cons

- Unfortunately, to advance in the industry most Sungevity employees need to put in some time here and then move on.
    - Those responsible for career development are not supportive of employee goals and have been know to trivialize employee frustration with lack of career mobility within the company.
    - The focus on "hitting the numbers" goes too far. The intense focus on the quantitative without also focusing on the qualitative and human factors will hurt the the long term bottom line. This also leads to employee burnout and staff not actually performing as well as they could, were the quantitative and qualitative metrics more in balance.

- Value the unique strengths of individual employees and develop them. The current employee development process is clearly lip-service to that concept.
    - At the very high management level, there seems to be sincerity. But lower down the management chain there are yes-men (and women) that lack creativity and seem primarily concerned with making the bosses happy, to the long-term detriment of the company's stated core values and mission.
    - There is too much top down decision making and not enough input is accepted from the rank and file workers that see the good and bad with the day-to-day processes. Whether you know it or not, the middle and lower level managers are working too hard to please you, but not working hard enough to solve real problems.

There are newer employer reviews for Sungevity