Sunglass Hut

Good summer job!

Former Employee - Store Associate in Nashua, NH
Former Employee - Store Associate in Nashua, NH

I worked at Sunglass Hut

Pros

Flexible Shifts, Good Manager, and Lots of Opportunities for Rewards.

Cons

Low Wage, Very repetitive job.

165 Other Employee Reviews for Sunglass Hut (View Most Recent)

Started off great then took a turn for the worst...

Current Employee - Sunglass Hut Store Manager
    Current Employee - Sunglass Hut Store Manager

I have been working at Sunglass Hut full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very fun company for the most part. Met a lot of people/peers from company outings and trips. Company does tries to keep up incentives/contest for you and your team. Recently rolled out a points system where you can earn points and redeem them for stuff (like a visa points system).

Benefits are great with the company and associate discounts are fair and available at sister companies are helpful. Also, perk is given for reaching a milestone of a year for every year you work there. Vacation time is also good with the length of time to take off able to increase by amount of years worked at the company. In my position, there is opportunities to move up, either to higher volume locations (if your sales are good), or to move to a different area/state/province or work at their head office.

Cons

Started off loving the company but after working here for a little over 2 years, things really start to open your eyes about the company. Like many have said, the single coverage in the store is horrible and unethical (but no one will say anything to their labor board because then the company would "find" ways to get rid of you). All the higher up's will tell you not to worry about shrink and just focus on sales but then when your shrink comes back above the 2% for inlines, 1.5% for open-air (kiosk), then you get corrective action with being threatened that you'll lose your job, but the company recently took back that you wouldn't lose your job...

I'm in a high volume store for my region and another store opened up right above mine and the RM set unfair goals for my store, expecting me to make unrealistic plans while the new store got ridiculously low plans even though they opened up in a new, recently expanded, high traffic section of the mall. I had to watch my store and my team struggle and watch all their hard work for the year go down the drain due to this, therefore effecting my review since if you don't make the year, good luck getting a raise.

Can't say anything about this to anyone since they will just find other things to blame it on, then once you achieve what they said they will then say its something else and its never good enough. You have set goals for your KPI's but are expected to go above and beyond that and don't get recognized for meeting the company's set goals for you.

Also, seeing all the positions that are now available in the company is shocking, which tells me people are dropping like flies from this company. Especially when I see most of them are Regional Trainers and Regional Managers. I've heard of a lot of great people who have worked for the company leave as of late.

All in all, it starts of great and they want you to think they are the best place to work with their "people work for people" mentality but that all turns around real quick.

Recognize the great people you have instead of acting like everyone is replaceable, which will ensure all the good staff leave. When new stores open up, adjust goals fairly instead of having unreal expectations. Don't ask for shrink to be so low in a single coverage store when we are told to focus on sales but then get in trouble for high shrink, especially in high volume locations. Have higher ups recognize stores for meeting the KPI's set by the company, not the ones they personally expect which are higher and made up by them.

Okay complany

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Sunglass Hut

Pros

Good commission good pay, progression

Cons

Never payed on time bad head office

There are newer employer reviews for Sunglass Hut