Sunrise Senior Living
www.sunriseseniorliving.com Mc Lean, VA 5000+ Employees

The Sun Sets on Employee Morale at Local Sunrise Senior Living Community

Assisted Living Coordinator (Former Employee)
Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

ProsWorking within the senior living field is extremely rewarding. The residents and staff make it worthwhile. Sunrise has an excellent training program for management.

ConsAt the particular facility I worked at, there was a lack of support from senior management. Employees were not always treated fairly, protocol was not always followed the same for every employee. Senior management seemed very "out of touch" with what was actually going on. Too much paperwork in every department takes focus away from resident care. Staff were often terminated without any disciplinary action or fair or proper warning or without being given chance to correct problems. While leadership training for upper management was wonderful, not all managers practiced what they were taught and this resulted in very low morale among staff and resentment among other managers. Staff with poor attitudes were praised and promoted, while other hardworking staff were looked over and dismissed despite protests from residents and other staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be helpful if "they" would actually listen to the staff when they have concerns instead of letting problem managers continue to get away with bad attitudes and general lack of respect for their employees and the work they do. Sunrise teaches its managers to be leaders, not just bosses; yet those managers who intimidate, threaten, and condescend to their employees are allowed to continue in this manner. It's important to listen to the front line staff when they talk about their supervisors. Also, it should be mandatory for the most senior manager at a property to speak with any manager who is being considered for termination. So many times, the word of another is taken as gospel and terminations are signed off on without anyone every speaking to the manager being fired. It's illogical that a business would even operate this way. As happens so often, office politics take hold and people are promoted or terminated based on who likes who, or who feels intimidated by who. It's really a joke. It's a shame when people who have dedicated 10-15 years of their lives to a company and sacrificed so much of themselves for the greater good, are terminated on the spot without any cause. This has happened to several good people who were loved and respected by residents and staff alike. Yet in some cases, ineffective and incompetent managers are allowed to continue on their course without so much as a finger being wagged in their direction. I think sometimes that Sunrise communities have lost focus on what is really supposed to matter: quality of life for seniors.

Learning from those who have nothing else to learn.

Volunteer (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros: You get to socialize with the people who have seen world changing events first hand, and learn so much from each one of them. The… Cons: I volunteered, so I was not paid, and that was the only reason I… Advice to Senior Management: Thanks for your kindness, I learned a lot with you. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Not the best, not the worst.

Office Administrator (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros: My management team was nice. The area of work performed was random and diversified.… Cons: Lack of internal promotion. No bonuses except for management. Pay increases weren't great. Internal… Advice to Senior Management: Care more about the employees than your pocket books. Also, give possibilities for advancement. Don't continue to just build, build, build. Expansion was… More

There are newer reviews on Sunrise Senior Living.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrise Senior Living CEO Penny McIntyre. All reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees.