Sunrise Senior Living

The Sun Sets on Employee Morale at Local Sunrise Senior Living Community

Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Working within the senior living field is extremely rewarding. The residents and staff make it worthwhile. Sunrise has an excellent training program for management.

Cons

At the particular facility I worked at, there was a lack of support from senior management. Employees were not always treated fairly, protocol was not always followed the same for every employee. Senior management seemed very "out of touch" with what was actually going on. Too much paperwork in every department takes focus away from resident care. Staff were often terminated without any disciplinary action or fair or proper warning or without being given chance to correct problems. While leadership training for upper management was wonderful, not all managers practiced what they were taught and this resulted in very low morale among staff and resentment among other managers. Staff with poor attitudes were praised and promoted, while other hardworking staff were looked over and dismissed despite protests from residents and other staff.

It would be helpful if "they" would actually listen to the staff when they have concerns instead of letting problem managers continue to get away with bad attitudes and general lack of respect for their employees and the work they do. Sunrise teaches its managers to be leaders, not just bosses; yet those managers who intimidate, threaten, and condescend to their employees are allowed to continue in this manner. It's important to listen to the front line staff when they talk about their supervisors. Also, it should be mandatory for the most senior manager at a property to speak with any manager who is being considered for termination. So many times, the word of another is taken as gospel and terminations are signed off on without anyone every speaking to the manager being fired. It's illogical that a business would even operate this way. As happens so often, office politics take hold and people are promoted or terminated based on who likes who, or who feels intimidated by who. It's really a joke. It's a shame when people who have dedicated 10-15 years of their lives to a company and sacrificed so much of themselves for the greater good, are terminated on the spot without any cause. This has happened to several good people who were loved and respected by residents and staff alike. Yet in some cases, ineffective and incompetent managers are allowed to continue on their course without so much as a finger being wagged in their direction. I think sometimes that Sunrise communities have lost focus on what is really supposed to matter: quality of life for seniors.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living (View Most Recent)

great place to work if you enjoy the elderly but don't necessarily need a good paying job.

Current Employee - Reminiscence Supervisor in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Reminiscence Supervisor in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Caring for the elderly and listening to their stories.

Cons

The wages, the gifts/recognition and awards. no compensation for years completed except 5, 10, 15 years. The management staff does not help in the cottages. Only when we are short staffed. We would like to see some more support daily.

Be out in the community more and greet every care manager by name.

Learning from those who have nothing else to learn.

Former Employee - Volunteer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

You get to socialize with the people who have seen world changing events first hand, and learn so much from each one of them. The other staff members are extremely kind, and very social. I learned something everyday that I volunteered there and am very happy that I did. Looking back, I miss the people I met and conversed with, they were all so happy and care-free. It shows you the happier side of the community.

Cons

I volunteered, so I was not paid, and that was the only reason I left. If I would have been paid an hourly wage, I would have definitely stayed.

Thanks for your kindness, I learned a lot with you.

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living