Sunrise's vision to champion the quality of life for all Seniors changed what was a "job" into my career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Katy, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had no idea I was interested in senior living when I applied to Sunrise. I started working and fell in love. Years later, I continue to love my career. At Sunrise, the residents come first. You are encouraged to spend time building relationships with the people who choose to live in your community. The culture in my community is that of a family. We support one another in hard times and celebrate with each other during the good times. There is always something fun happening around the community. You never get bored because there is always something to do. The management team is not perfect, but they try their best and really care about the team. I personally know that they do a lot of things for employees in need of help.

Cons

The hours are long and the expectations are high. There is a high chance for "burnout" when working for Sunrise.

It would be great if there were protections in place for team members to avoid burnout and decrease turnover. I have known many great and talented team members who have left the company simply because of the work/life imbalance when working at Sunrise. This is especially needed for the salaried team members.

Other Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

HORRIBLEEEEE

Former Employee - Medication Care Manager  in  Paoli, PA
    Former Employee - Medication Care Manager in Paoli, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the residents and my fellow care managers/ med techs and nurses.

Cons

Horrible pay and on top of that EVERY pay check is short hours and wages. Care level needs 7 care managers on the floor but we usually had 5 and sometimes even 4. The care managers that toilet residents also serve them food. Care managers are also expected to act as nurses if they are too busy or out of the building. The managers will help in the dinning room for 30 minutes if we are short and then tell the staff they dont understand why we complain its really not bad. There is one house keeper to the ENTIRE building who is only on 5 days a week. Benefits are a huge joke. The workers would actually look nicer if they were to wear scrubs because most of them can not afford to buy nice clothes due to the lack of pay and due to the type of work, they should not be required to wear nice clothes considering what they get on it.

Switch all of the above. We are not a dime a dozen it costs alot of money to put us through a week of Sunrise U and a week of shadowing and not to mention to pay the teacher at Sunrise U. If you treated the employees right and had enough staff there would be less turn over and less training money would have to be put out each month.

Money first, residents second, wage employees last

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living for less than a year

Pros

Working with seniors can be fun and/or rewarding
    Gain healthcare experience
    Relaxed dress code
    Don’t have to pay for the Sunrise “uniform” (T-shirts)
    Wage co-workers are generally friendly

Cons

Short shifting, and to make matters worse the neighborhood coordinators do not fill in gaps themselves.
    Low wage
    Care managers=grunts that do a lot of housekeeping, care for the residents, depending on the Sunrise the dishwashing, laundry and supposed to make real connections with residents
    Stretching the wage by adding additional duties or residents beyond the ratios or duties quoted at the time of hire
    Lead, LEM, Med Care positions are a trap. There are usually no on-call or extra people for these positions. Coordinators are too cheap to train extra.
    Many coordinators are unprofessional. Some hide from conflict. Others tell employees they will do something and then do not. Lack tact. Condescending to care managers. At my location, one of the neighborhood coordinators is an atrocious speller, but she is too lazy and/or careless to fix her mistakes. As a result, itinerary sheets for meetings, communication logs and even PUBLIC displays that families see have spelling errors. THAT is poor presentation.
    "Do as I say not as I do" attitude of senior management. Example, care managers are scolded for not making Sunrise clean and presentable, but when something major breaks on a weekend or in the afternoon the maintenance staff including the Maintenance Coordinator is nowhere to be found.
    Working at Sunrise hurts those with a sensitive moral conscience. When you consider the fact that residents and their families pay more than $5,000 a month, but the services are nowhere near that threshold due to Sunrise Corporate and individual Sunrise policies. This is mainly due to the census. If the population of a floor drops positions, hours, even staff can be dropped. The result is personal time with residents drops, care managers are forced to stop letting residents that are able to do some of their own cares themselves participate in ADLs due to time. The care managers end up doing all the cares leading to a use or it lose dilemma. With the reduced staff residents cannot be cared for in a timely manner.
    Changes in hours are not given in advance.
    Assisted Living focused Sunrises neglect Reminiscence. They take an absurd amount of time to complete repairs. They do not have a nurse dedicated to the floor. If Assisted Living is short, and Reminiscence is fully staffed for a shift, Reminiscence staff will be sent to Assisted Living to fill the gap.
    Reminiscence food is usually subpar. The activities are boring and overly repetitive
    Sunrise accepts and keep dangerous residents on Reminiscence putting staff and other residents at risk. Physical violence and sexual harassment are acceptable behaviors by residents because despite the mantra money comes first.
    Floor coordinators live in a bubble. They are too far removed from the work, requirements, and expectations of working on the floor with residents. They don’t understand that simply adding a resident is no big deal, or adding more duties “should be fine.” If they ever did work the floor I think they would be completely lost. A neighborhood coordinator at my location does not know much about her staff or residents. The result is she makes poor promotion decisions, does not know enough about residents to prevent or help explain health issues to nursing before they become major issues.
    It is usually safe to voice issues to management, but don’t expect action or sympathy. Case in point, The Voice was a corporate national initiative for the employees to complete a survey. The national results were to be summarized in August (they weren’t) and the specific results of each Sunrise were to be summarized in September (they weren’t). No policy changes noted.
    Career advancement is up to the discretion of your neighborhood coordinator. The result is that career advancement can be blocked if your coordinator believes you are too valuable to let go
    The open kitchen in Reminiscence is unsanitary (residents are free to walk through and open fridges etc) and unsafe (residents can gain access to cutlery, turn on ovens or put silverware in microwaves)
    Too many meetings. Depending on your position there may be up to 3 meetings for an employee to attend. Town Halls are longer than necessary because coordinators insist on cutting up and making comments they intend to be funny (they are not). Town halls include time wasted on “fun” contests. Late night Town Hall is the most concise because coordinators want to go home. On call employees are expected to attend all these meetings, thus the reason there are very few on-call employees.
    Salaried coordinators play fast and loose with their hours. Coming and leaving as they please making it difficult for families and employees to speak with them.

Not having a nurse in the building for the whole 24 hour to cut cost is deplorable. To cut costs (Sunrise will tell you its so that it does not look institutional) it does not keep certified providers on staff, no dietitians, no physical therapists, and does not have a nurse present for the whole 24 hours. This is a mistake, it greatly extends the amount of time for a resident to be professionally evaluated. In Assisted Living focused Sunrises, the nurses are on the assisted living floor and grace the reminiscence floor with their presence 3-4 times a day. This is a gross misstep in care. The result of not having a nurse on the Reminiscence floor is that they do not know the residents well enough leading to delayed care or incorrect care.
    Stop stretching the wage
    Reduced hours, cut staff, and cut positions are not “Putting the residents first”
    Take a professional writing class learn how to relate to families and employees!

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!