There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

Money first, residents second, wage employees last

Former Employee - Care Manager in Golden Valley, MN
Former Employee - Care Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living (less than an year)

Pros

Working with seniors can be fun and/or rewarding
Gain healthcare experience
Relaxed dress code
Don’t have to pay for the Sunrise “uniform” (T-shirts)
Wage co-workers are generally friendly

Cons

Short shifting, and to make matters worse the neighborhood coordinators do not fill in gaps themselves.
Low wage
Care managers=grunts that do a lot of housekeeping, care for the residents, depending on the Sunrise the dishwashing, laundry and supposed to make real connections with residents
Stretching the wage by adding additional duties or residents beyond the ratios or duties quoted at the time of hire
Lead, LEM, Med Care positions are a trap. There are usually no on-call or extra people for these positions. Coordinators are too cheap to train extra.
Many coordinators are unprofessional. Some hide from conflict. Others tell employees they will do something and then do not. Lack tact. Condescending to care managers. At my location, one of the neighborhood coordinators is an atrocious speller, but she is too lazy and/or careless to fix her mistakes. As a result, itinerary sheets for meetings, communication logs and even PUBLIC displays that families see have spelling errors. THAT is poor presentation.
"Do as I say not as I do" attitude of senior management. Example, care managers are scolded for not making Sunrise clean and presentable, but when something major breaks on a weekend or in the afternoon the maintenance staff including the Maintenance Coordinator is nowhere to be found.
Working at Sunrise hurts those with a sensitive moral conscience. When you consider the fact that residents and their families pay more than $5,000 a month, but the services are nowhere near that threshold due to Sunrise Corporate and individual Sunrise policies. This is mainly due to the census. If the population of a floor drops positions, hours, even staff can be dropped. The result is personal time with residents drops, care managers are forced to stop letting residents that are able to do some of their own cares themselves participate in ADLs due to time. The care managers end up doing all the cares leading to a use or it lose dilemma. With the reduced staff residents cannot be cared for in a timely manner.
Changes in hours are not given in advance.
Assisted Living focused Sunrises neglect Reminiscence. They take an absurd amount of time to complete repairs. They do not have a nurse dedicated to the floor. If Assisted Living is short, and Reminiscence is fully staffed for a shift, Reminiscence staff will be sent to Assisted Living to fill the gap.
Reminiscence food is usually subpar. The activities are boring and overly repetitive
Sunrise accepts and keep dangerous residents on Reminiscence putting staff and other residents at risk. Physical violence and sexual harassment are acceptable behaviors by residents because despite the mantra money comes first.
Floor coordinators live in a bubble. They are too far removed from the work, requirements, and expectations of working on the floor with residents. They don’t understand that simply adding a resident is no big deal, or adding more duties “should be fine.” If they ever did work the floor I think they would be completely lost. A neighborhood coordinator at my location does not know much about her staff or residents. The result is she makes poor promotion decisions, does not know enough about residents to prevent or help explain health issues to nursing before they become major issues.
It is usually safe to voice issues to management, but don’t expect action or sympathy. Case in point, The Voice was a corporate national initiative for the employees to complete a survey. The national results were to be summarized in August (they weren’t) and the specific results of each Sunrise were to be summarized in September (they weren’t). No policy changes noted.
Career advancement is up to the discretion of your neighborhood coordinator. The result is that career advancement can be blocked if your coordinator believes you are too valuable to let go
The open kitchen in Reminiscence is unsanitary (residents are free to walk through and open fridges etc) and unsafe (residents can gain access to cutlery, turn on ovens or put silverware in microwaves)
Too many meetings. Depending on your position there may be up to 3 meetings for an employee to attend. Town Halls are longer than necessary because coordinators insist on cutting up and making comments they intend to be funny (they are not). Town halls include time wasted on “fun” contests. Late night Town Hall is the most concise because coordinators want to go home. On call employees are expected to attend all these meetings, thus the reason there are very few on-call employees.
Salaried coordinators play fast and loose with their hours. Coming and leaving as they please making it difficult for families and employees to speak with them.

Not having a nurse in the building for the whole 24 hour to cut cost is deplorable. To cut costs (Sunrise will tell you its so that it does not look institutional) it does not keep certified providers on staff, no dietitians, no physical therapists, and does not have a nurse present for the whole 24 hours. This is a mistake, it greatly extends the amount of time for a resident to be professionally evaluated. In Assisted Living focused Sunrises, the nurses are on the assisted living floor and grace the reminiscence floor with their presence 3-4 times a day. This is a gross misstep in care. The result of not having a nurse on the Reminiscence floor is that they do not know the residents well enough leading to delayed care or incorrect care.
Stop stretching the wage
Reduced hours, cut staff, and cut positions are not “Putting the residents first”
Take a professional writing class learn how to relate to families and employees!

279 Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Good place to work, just need to fix the organization!!!

Current Employee - Cook in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Cook in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work lots of potential to grow from within.

Cons

Need the Management to re-organized the whole system so that there's no SENIORITY coz a lot of newcomers always have a hard time dealing with the oldtimers. they end up doing mosty of the work.

Best job I've ever had...

Current Employee - Concierge in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Concierge in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love having a job where I feel like I'm actually making a difference in people's lives- where I can perform not just a job, but a calling. The community I work in is gorgeous, as are the other communities I've visited, and provides a pleasant atmosphere to work in. And my co-workers are fantastic- Sunrise is very committed to hiring employees who are passionate about what they do, and working with people who believe in what they do helps everyone to work together and help each other out. There is also a lot of opportunity for advancement and expanding your job horizons at Sunrise. I was hired as a server then moved to concierge, and have been provided experience as activities assistant and administrative assistant, and hope to continue a career with Sunrise after I finish my degree.

Cons

As much as I enjoy working at Sunrise, I don't think there is a company out there that has no room for improvement. One drawback in working for a corporate compnay, like Sunrise, is that howver dedicated the majority of the management and employees are, some things fall through the cracks. Sunrise is typically very good about addressing complaints by employees or residents, but it can take a while sometimes. Also, a lot seems to depend on the Executive Director at your community. The director I am working with now is great and follows through on Sunrise's open-door policy, but the director previous to him made working here much more challenging than it should be.
    I would also advise anyone considering a job for Sunrise to seriously evaluate your personality and job needs to see wether it would be a good fit for you. While working with seniors is very rewarding, it can also be challenging. A person needs certain qualities like patience, caring, the ability to remain calm in a crisis and good interpersonal skills to do well and be happy working at Sunrise. Also, keep in mind that Sunrise is dedicated to improving the lives of SENIORS, who are often in the last stage of thier life. So being able to be close and truly care for your residents and yet being able to say goodbye with grace is very challenging, and I'm sure impossible for many people. That is an important aspect to consider when contemplating any career in the senior living industry.

All that said, I am still very happy working at Sunrise, and as I mentioned in the Pros category I hope to continue working here and making it not just a job but a career.

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living