Sunrise Senior Living

www.sunriseseniorliving.com
  www.sunriseseniorliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

The senior management is the worst.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are nice. Residents are demanding and self centered with a few exceptions.

Cons

Senior management changes like the seasons, so does the staff. The pay is low for what is expected of you. I was a coordinator and did not receive the proper tools to perform my duties, ie, short staffed all the time, no help with activities or dining services, or short staffed with care managers so we are stressed and over worked. Care managers were always short and slow to respond to residents. Some residents wait up,to 45 - 60 mins. Waiting for help,in the bathroom. The food is also a big issue. The cook always says it will get better, but it never does. The people are on low sodium diets but the kitchen does not cook special foods. It's all the same for everyone. The best thing is the grilled cheese. Supposed to be to notch. I wouldn't put my dog here, let alone my parents.

The management is 2 faced and not steady. They bring new ED's from other communities who change all the coordinators and upset the residents, and then nothing gets better. Way too much change over in Depts. as well. Management is not friendly to residents or family members as well.

274 Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Unbelieveable

Current Employee - Care Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to choose the activities to do with the reseidents

Cons

A lot of drama!!! They choose to keep the Care Managers who don't do nothing but sit around and stir up drama. They preach they want people to trust them but they don't trust the ones who work hard. Way too many politics involved in this place. The pay sucks! A lot of chores and BS for little pay!

Best job I've ever had...

Current Employee - Concierge in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Concierge in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love having a job where I feel like I'm actually making a difference in people's lives- where I can perform not just a job, but a calling. The community I work in is gorgeous, as are the other communities I've visited, and provides a pleasant atmosphere to work in. And my co-workers are fantastic- Sunrise is very committed to hiring employees who are passionate about what they do, and working with people who believe in what they do helps everyone to work together and help each other out. There is also a lot of opportunity for advancement and expanding your job horizons at Sunrise. I was hired as a server then moved to concierge, and have been provided experience as activities assistant and administrative assistant, and hope to continue a career with Sunrise after I finish my degree.

Cons

As much as I enjoy working at Sunrise, I don't think there is a company out there that has no room for improvement. One drawback in working for a corporate compnay, like Sunrise, is that howver dedicated the majority of the management and employees are, some things fall through the cracks. Sunrise is typically very good about addressing complaints by employees or residents, but it can take a while sometimes. Also, a lot seems to depend on the Executive Director at your community. The director I am working with now is great and follows through on Sunrise's open-door policy, but the director previous to him made working here much more challenging than it should be.
    I would also advise anyone considering a job for Sunrise to seriously evaluate your personality and job needs to see wether it would be a good fit for you. While working with seniors is very rewarding, it can also be challenging. A person needs certain qualities like patience, caring, the ability to remain calm in a crisis and good interpersonal skills to do well and be happy working at Sunrise. Also, keep in mind that Sunrise is dedicated to improving the lives of SENIORS, who are often in the last stage of thier life. So being able to be close and truly care for your residents and yet being able to say goodbye with grace is very challenging, and I'm sure impossible for many people. That is an important aspect to consider when contemplating any career in the senior living industry.

All that said, I am still very happy working at Sunrise, and as I mentioned in the Pros category I hope to continue working here and making it not just a job but a career.

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living