Sunrise Senior Living

www.sunriseseniorliving.com
  www.sunriseseniorliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

Low pay for hard work and terrible hours, but you'll still love working there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Sunrise hires some of the coolest, nicest, most competant people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The residents are a blast, the families are great, and your coworkers will be nice, funny, and hardworking. They provide paid training and cheap food, along with tuition assistance and other good benefits at the 90 day mark.

Cons

There are loooooong, slow periods where nothing happens, especially on weekends. Be prepared to be bored in between the crazy periods when it feels like everything is happening at once.

In the handbook it often says "Please refer to your community's written policies." Please make sure your policies actually ARE written down some place! Many good employees become frustrated when they don't have clear guidelines.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living (View Most Recent)

Sunrise not what I expected

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

For the most part I do belive most of the people I work with are genuinely good, and have their hearts in the right place.( which is very important when you work in healthcare)
     They provide many different kinds of care. Such as assisted living as well as what they call the remincence neigbourhood which is for alzhimers care. They think outside the box when it comes to careing for their residents and understanding alzhimers disease, and even having fundraisers to raise money for the cure. They allow the residents to have pets and all surnrise communites have at least1 house dog or cat. They have lots of activieties, such as walking club, movie club, 3:00 house social where the residents may have a drink and a snack while listening to music they like and chit-chating. They have several exersice programs and a physical theraphist that directs one of the excersice programs several times a week. It's a realitivley young company considering its size ,but I think eventhough they seemed to have stretched themselves thin,overall they have the right idea.

Cons

Like I said earlier I do belive my co-wokers are all good people, however their is a lot of cattyiness.Going behind peoples backs to get them in trouble, tell on them or complain about them. Allthough it seems to me that happens in all jobs I've noticed it happens the most with nursing assistants. It seems like it's the worst at Sunrise but maybe thats just because it's fresh in my memory. I am unsatisifed with the pay. I got hired at 12.00 for another and much smaller company over 2 years ago. But here I got hired at 11.00 which doesn't seem right considering I had 2 years expericece as a C.N.A and you would think combined with inflation would have made it so I would at the the very least be making the same amount not a dollar less! But that is the way it is for now considering the economy I'm glad I have a job at all and I'm contiuning to look for other higher paying jobs which is going to be hard to find considering I haven't figured out what I'm going to go to school for. I found that in most cases people with a college degree have better jobs more respect and of course better pay which is what we all want. So my advice to anyone that is considering a job as a caregiver at a Sunrise or somewhere else is this: Get certified and don't consider it a career consider it plan B and maintain your certification wheather you are working as a C.N.A. or not. But all in all even though I love helping people in this case the residents, their family members and my coworkers I do consider this a dead-end job.

I know everyone does the best they can. And I'm sure you all also have thankless jobs. I'm sure you also feel underpaid for all the hard work you do. I've noticed you jobs seem to follow you home even more so than mine. But I do feel like some of you take yourselves too seriously.

The Sun Sets on Employee Morale at Local Sunrise Senior Living Community

Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Working within the senior living field is extremely rewarding. The residents and staff make it worthwhile. Sunrise has an excellent training program for management.

Cons

At the particular facility I worked at, there was a lack of support from senior management. Employees were not always treated fairly, protocol was not always followed the same for every employee. Senior management seemed very "out of touch" with what was actually going on. Too much paperwork in every department takes focus away from resident care. Staff were often terminated without any disciplinary action or fair or proper warning or without being given chance to correct problems. While leadership training for upper management was wonderful, not all managers practiced what they were taught and this resulted in very low morale among staff and resentment among other managers. Staff with poor attitudes were praised and promoted, while other hardworking staff were looked over and dismissed despite protests from residents and other staff.

It would be helpful if "they" would actually listen to the staff when they have concerns instead of letting problem managers continue to get away with bad attitudes and general lack of respect for their employees and the work they do. Sunrise teaches its managers to be leaders, not just bosses; yet those managers who intimidate, threaten, and condescend to their employees are allowed to continue in this manner. It's important to listen to the front line staff when they talk about their supervisors. Also, it should be mandatory for the most senior manager at a property to speak with any manager who is being considered for termination. So many times, the word of another is taken as gospel and terminations are signed off on without anyone every speaking to the manager being fired. It's illogical that a business would even operate this way. As happens so often, office politics take hold and people are promoted or terminated based on who likes who, or who feels intimidated by who. It's really a joke. It's a shame when people who have dedicated 10-15 years of their lives to a company and sacrificed so much of themselves for the greater good, are terminated on the spot without any cause. This has happened to several good people who were loved and respected by residents and staff alike. Yet in some cases, ineffective and incompetent managers are allowed to continue on their course without so much as a finger being wagged in their direction. I think sometimes that Sunrise communities have lost focus on what is really supposed to matter: quality of life for seniors.

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living