Sunrise Senior Living

www.sunriseseniorliving.com

Overworked, under-appreciated and always replaceable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Before being sold to a health care company, this was a career path for life. I worked with amazing people and of course, seniors. I felt appreciated and I was advancing. Although I felt that the majority of employees were overworked and that we were short staffed, I was happy with my place in the community and worked tirelessly making up for a lack of department head in my position for 6 months. I was so thankful for my job and felt proud to say I worked there.

Cons

After being bought out I watched multiple GREAT co-workers and coordinators quit or be fired. We went without coordinators for many months and as soon as we hired someone, within a month or two they would quit. Once management was rearranged, I was one of the first to be fired in a string of assaults on long-term employees. They will accuse you of anything to get you out the door. They do not care how important you are to the residents or community; an employee will be there one minute, and gone the next without care to how this will effect the residents or their families that you have made connections with. Furthermore, their claim to care about human life is far from true. If they cared about all human life, they wouldn't fire people at the drop of a hat. The only thing upper management cares about is the budget and making money. Temporary sales people say anything to get someone to write a check and move in - sales people that come in from another city who don't know the community and don't care about the residents already living there. When families ask about turnover, they would be lied to. The sales process seems to be based on fear tactics. People are moved in without proper assessments and without the proper information. Care staff are not given any information on how to care for a new resident in a timely manner, which obviously effects the care of that individual. Sometimes people were moved in that we were not adequately able to care for. There is a lot of talk about promoting from within but over and over I watched good, long-term employees request more training and interest in moving up and they were denied, only to have management bring in a non-qualified person that would quit or be fired shortly thereafter. Also, it is important to note that there are community pets this company purchases that are NOT taken care of very well. If you truly care about seniors but don't care how you're treated or if you'll have a job tomorrow, then take the job. If you truly want to work with seniors, my recommendation would be to find a non-profit to work for. If I had read the reviews for this company on glassdoor before I interviewed, I believe I would not have taken the job. This has been devastating and I would tell friends and family NOT to get involved with this company. I am uncertain that I will ever go into Senior Living again because of my experience with this them.

When there is a pattern of people quitting and being fired, look into your community further. If upper management turns the other way, then their bosses need to start paying attention. Personally, I feel that all new management involved in this area need to be fired and replaced by people that truly care about the individuals living and working at their communities. These are peoples lives you are dealing with, not just a big paycheck for you. If you aren't going to practice what you preach, then change what you are preaching so the public knows what they are getting into. Investigate in detail - speak to individuals and families involved - before you just fire people. Learn to appreciate the staff you have! I understand budget it the biggest concern for you but you need more staffing....and 12 hour plus shifts are too long for a care manager to take care of an entire floor of people on their own. New people need more hands-on training before being thrown in and expected to work until they are exhausted. Look beyond the pretty brochures and testimonials and ask yourself, would you truly want someone taking care of your Mom or Dad that is underpaid, overworked, and under appreciated? Start considering how your actions with your employees are effecting the residents and their families. Also, consider removing the community pets and bringing in therapy pets daily instead. The care just is not there for the pets that currently live there now and it truly borderlines on neglect. There really should be an advocate for them too.

Sunrise Senior Living Response

Dec 12, 2013Senior Director Talent Acquisition

We take your comments very seriously as we care deeply about the well-being of our team members and residents. Please contact us at careers@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details.

Other reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

I had a wonderful experience at Sunrise!

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Northville, MI

Pros

I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with. The residents were all amazing and had wonderful stories. The family members were unbelievably supportive and great to work with.

Cons

I really do not have anything negative to say about my experience. The only slight challenge that I ever faced was the speed at which some things go done. But that was only due to the fact that Sunrise is a large publicly traded company.

Make sure to make your presence felt in the field on the front lines. Keep trying to listen and learn from the feedback you get from the front line team members.

Will never return

Pros

The residents will change your life. Everything positive about any job at Sunrise concerns the wonderful people who live there.

Cons

I worked at Sunrise for years and at many locations. When I began with the company it was more resident-centered and upper management really cared about nurturing their employees and keeping them in the company. When I left it was because I was heart-broken by the way I was treated, the way my staff and fellow employees were treated, and I no longer felt the care was resident centered. I felt decisions were made based on census and what was financially better for the company. Employees are no longer valued at Sunrise, and the people now running the company are money hungry corporate business men and who see Sunrise as a way to nickle and dime their clients and persecute their employees. There are so many wonderful senior facilities to work at that truly care about their residents and staff. Please consider all options before working for Sunrise. Upper management has become slime car salesmen ever since the original owners stepped down.

Sunrise Senior Living Response

Dec 12, 2013Senior Director Talent Acquisition

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!