HR

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training provided to employees

Cons

Sometimes your working hours are cut

Other Employee Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

1. Care Manager

Former Employee - Care Manager in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Valencia, CA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents. You become close to them.

Cons

Groups of employees were separated into cliches and made it clear I was not part of it

Advice to Management

Don't allow groups of employees to bully new employees, this leads to high turn over rates. It's why I left.

Overworked, unpaid, under appreciated, stressed beyond belief

Former Employee - Activity and Volunteer Coordinator in Haverford, PA
    Former Employee - Activity and Volunteer Coordinator in Haverford, PA

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent training in the beginning, principals of service and core values are very good (but seldom practiced), have a tendency to promote from within.

Cons

I worked as an Activity & Volunteer Coordinator. My certification as a CTRS was not valued and I was mandated to do things that were outside my fields standards of practice and code of ethics by a corporate "activity consultant" who had zero training or idea what she was talking about. Nowhere near enough staff in the facility -- Sunrise wants 7 day/week programming from 9AM-8PM but only hire one FT AVC. Some are lucky to have a part time person working 16 hours per week. The 56 hours of coverage, when they want 77 hours of programming. With the concept of the universal worker, they set everyone up for failure, as there are not enough qualified staff to take care of residents EVER. The benefits are awful and the pay is equally as bad. As a department head I was living in poverty when I worked there (and I live a modest lifestyle). Sunrise will do anything to make a sale, a number of times I was forced to cancel an activity that residents were looking forward to, because someone walked in looking for a tour and no one else was around to give it. While the individuals working in the front line and coordinator job care so deeply for the residents, administration and corporate only cares about residents before they move in (they want that $). The poor care managers who work there are supposed to care for like 15 residents, clean their rooms, serve in the dining room and do activities. It's just too much work, and the level of care slips as a result. Worst two years of my life.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are qualified to do these jobs, and hire them in abundance. Stop cheaping out and claiming that the universal worker is a great thing. It's not. It stresses people out and leads to high burnout rate. If you hire a consultant such as the consultant for AVCs, make sure that they actually know what they're talking about. I suggest hiring a certified therapeutic recreation specialist, as they are the most highly trained to do this kind of work.